1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

yr 11 boys

Discussion in 'Personal' started by RKM, Oct 31, 2012.

1. RKM

RKM

I have started a new job and I have inherited a class of 23 boys.
    I cannot formally teach them, they are doing a btec.
    Today 7 of them just at the computer and played games. I emailed IT support and got them blocked. This took about 15mins. I was sat away from my computer and I was marking a kids folder. The internet was blocked, and those boys kicked off, swearing "why did you block the internet?" I said I didnt I've been marking work. The kid whose work I was marking also said Miss hasn't done anything.
    I don't know how to bring them round, 1/2 of them are on SEN register, they are school action, and the policy is that they get no inclass support.
    We have an OFSTED due and I know I will fail if I get observed, I've flagged up these issues and I am now struggling as to what my next move it. Mobiles, earphones are a major issue. I cannot get them to put them away.
    I'm just wondering whatelse I can do? The "behaviour managers" just seem to be the naughty kids friends. I really don't understand their purpose in school.

2. keep logging the poor behaviour and emailing the head of year and department - cover your bottom. The isolate them, get the rest working and onside. Tactically ignore the rest and hopefully they will start to come round one by one, especially as the others get their work done and you can start to with draw the support from them.

3. RKM

RKM

For the last few weeks, rather than trying to attempt to do a starter I put up a spreadsheet which tracks the kids progress. I use a traffic light system. It works well with some "general" naughty kids, who after telling a few times they actually settle and make an attempt at the work, the hardcore nutters are the ones who are spoiling it.
    They just laugh and snigger at it. I spend most of my time on sims logging this bad behaviour. The OFSTED criteria basically states that bad behaviour is the teachers fault, but how can you attempt to start teaching a group, who dont know how to settle and have intention of wanting to learn?

4. I have had a few groups like this in my time. The first time (the worst) it was a group who were essentially mourning their previous teacher, who had left the school. He was very charismatic and a bit "off the wall" - adored by kids but he never actually taught them much - his results were poor though his lessons were much praised. In the end my HOD told me to nominate 3 "key players" to be removed for the foreseeable future - for as long as I needed, basically. They were split up and accommodated in other classes while I got a handle on the rest of the group. Later, when I was in charge of KS3 I had an NQT with a Y9 group like this and I used the same strategy - it worked for her and for me. The next time was with a crazy, mixed ability, vocational group who had a day a week at a local technology college. SMT were much less supportive by then and I got through to them mostly by preparing very quick worksheets that they could work on independently, just a few questions on one basic skill, then another one, then another - they did like to feel they could do the work, and one by one they were mostly won over. I tried playing music (of their choice) but it didn't work as they'd argue and dis each other's music and get irate over it. In the end I capitulated over the headphones (against all school rules but I was getting no SMT support so I decided to go it alone and do it my way. Being allowed their headphones was a sort of "reward" for doing the work.
    The next time I just pushed on and on and counted down the teaching hours till study leave, basically - lots of detentions, no rewards - this lot weren't as tricky as the other 2 groups. Have you tried contacting home, by the way? Often mum / dad will support you and make life hard for their lads at home if they make yours hard for you at school! Once you identify a few kids with supportive parents, a positive postcard can also work wonders.

5. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

why can you not teach then? do you need to be setting areas for them to look at and support their learning?

for me boys are simple, catch them doing well and reward them. Even with a cheesy sticker, set up a competition between the lad and you will make progress with those that are holding back to fit in.

if there are some that simply wont play the game, time to call in the TLR...they get paid extra...make them earn it...remove the core kids and get the rest on side...eg finish XYZ then you can have the last 15 minutes of lesson for games.

Be consistent and apply to rules to all..every lesson

6. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

So you have already decided not to teach them because they are doing BTEC? You lie to them about blocking the internet and you sit marking work away from them? Then you start your lesson showing them how badly some of them are doing?
    I have taught a variety of BTEC classes in my time and I have always taught them at various points in the course. I agree with the post about positive rewards, try to be postive at every opportunity but make it genuine, take an interest in their work whilst they are doing it. If you block the internet tell them you have done so and why, and maybe if they are good for a couple of lessons reward them with ten minutes free time at the end of a lesson.
    Above all try to think positive about the group as hard as that may be :)

7. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

If they are not being taught what are they meant to be doing? And why are they in class with you if you aren't interacting and teaching them? Sounds very odd to me and yes, Ofsted will have a field day. If I were in your class I'd be playing up too.