1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr 1 sound and hearing experiment

Discussion in 'Science' started by malwi, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Hello, are there any Year 1 teachers on this forum? :)
    I am teaching a science lesson on Monday (which is going to be
    observed!). It's about loud sounds and the "The closer the sound, the
    louder it is. The further away the sound, the quieter it is" experiment.
    Has
    anyone taught this lesson before and has got great ideas? I'd love to
    hear them as I'm feeling a bit shaky about science ... Thank you! :)

2. Hi, I'm also a year 1 teacher new to the forum and new to year 1
    I'm being observed on mondaydoing a sceince experiemnt based on sound.
    I would love to hear what you ended up doing for your sound experiement and how it went
    Thank you :)

3. I have a couple of ideas but not being a Y1 teacher & not knowing what equipment you may have available, I dont know if they will work. Here goes:
    1) You will need a source of quiet sounds( ticking watch?) and a reasonably large space. You can make the whole thing into an activity / game. Get the pupils close to the speakers or sound source and play the noise quietly so they all hear what they are meant to hear, then ask them to walk away from you, ever so quietly, and to stop walking when they can't hear the noise any more. If they all walk in different directions (and there are no echoes or wind to carry the sound) they should form a circle (more or less) when they stop walking. Clearly the noise may have to be quite quiet!
    You can do something similar with them walking towards you. They move far away with the sound off. You let them know when the sound is turned on & they walk quietly towards you. They stop when they can hear the noise. They should all be in more or less the same place - depending on how good their hearing is.
    I am sure you could get some discussion going about how the sound changes as they then continue towards you (it gets louder!).
    2) Show them some videos of cars, trains & planes. Get them to describe how the sound of any of these vehicles changes as it moves towards or away from you (louder & quieter). They may say that the pitch of the noise changes too. This is true but is not related to loudness. If they have noticed this they are onto the GCSE physics syllabus! (sound sources moving towards you are higher pitch than they would be if they were not moving while sources moving away are lower pitch).
    If they are being mega bright, you could ask them what else may behave in a similar fashion - getting weaker as you are more distant from it: Heat, light, gravitational pull, magnetic pull would be good answers!
    Hope it goes well, whatever you decide to do. As a matter of curiosity, how long does this sort of lesson take? I have never taught Y1.