1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yr 1 EAL number bonds to 10

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by PaulDG, Dec 1, 2012.

1. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I doubt it's the concept that's the problem.

Maybe the difficulty is that they already know how to do what you're asking but it's done in a different way at home or in their home country's schools so they're confused as they can't connect what you want with what they know how to do?

Can you find out what is the norm at home or home country's schools?

2. back a step - do they understand numbers in english - have they 'got' the words one to ten - and can they equate those words with amounts? orally and written - cards with '5 .....' , physical objects etc
    i really would work on that first - then go back to the toddler thing of 'teddy has 4' 'tiger has 2' how many altogether? - go from numerals to bricks for each character, merge the bricks, count them, translate back to a numeral
    also - be aware of left-to-right and right-to-left conventions
    pm me if this doesn't make sense

3. Thank you for the responses

They are all Polish children. They know the number values, know their numbers from 1 to 20 (they do get confused in the teen numbers).
    I have used two blue pads as ponds and had some ducks. Said the total number of ducks is 10, so how many can be in both ponds. That they understood. and they are able to do that with support. But nothing on their own. Some are more able than the others though and all respond differently with different resources.

Left to right conventions?
    I think I will need to spend time with them on the words, as I do not think they know them.

Thank you all again for the help

4. problem if kids are eg arabic - not issue with polish kids

5. martydog

martydog New commenter

Have you tried teaching them Farmer Pete on number fun or u tube My years 1 love it and even the LA know their number bonds of 10

6. hairdo

hairdo Occasional commenter

Play high ten. eg show 6 on your fingers (they should be able to count on using the fingers that are down on your hand)....they show 4 on their fingers . Say 6 add 4 makes (or equals) 10 and do a high ten. kids I've worked with like this as it is fast paced and fun.