1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You've got the Olympics?!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Jan 27, 2012.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Speaking to some American friends on the phone last night and they were talking about coming over to the UK. So I said best to avoid this Summer as the Olympics will mean few hotel rooms and those that are available will be expensive. They were shocked, they had no idea that the Olympics were in the UK this year! Makes you wonder about our marketing!

2. Speaks volumes too about how little many Americans know about the 'outside world'.

3. Just ignorance. How did you know the 2008 games were in Beijing? Chinese marketing?

4. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I was discussing the hotel/london being chocoblock this summer and one of them maintains that this will not be the case as many tourists will not visit because of the games and therefore there should be plenty of accommodation to go around!

5. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

If you read the academic literature, tourism to a country always falls in an Olympic year, with serious consequences everywhere away from the venue.
    Civil rights are curtailed with persecution of rough sleepers, communities persecuted as their homes, shops and green spaces are nicked - laughable given the Games' spurious green credentials. (Google Manor Gardens Allotments).
    The whole area including Startford Westfields is now privatised space and no longer in the public realm, with unaccountable quasi-police gaining powers that should not reside outside proper policing. The whole area designs out poorer communities.
    The economy will lose billions in sickies and time off.
    The people who actually work in London and pay for this ridiculous debacle are being told by employers to get to work by 7 am (I kid you not), so spectators can get all the Tube spaces. you have to leave work before 1600 or after 1930.
    Whole areas are improsoned for 3 days by road closures for the cycling.
    The sponsors include McDonalds, the company what isn't paying for Bhopal, and Coca-Cola, so f*** healthy living.
    Without any hint of irony Sainsbury's in supporting the Paralympics. Sainsbury's is a company which makes its workers have a disciplinary hearing everytime they are off sick where they get a warning - this happens even when the illness is certificated, or when they - the employer - send you home, This escalates from verbal to written to final and out - not v friendly to anyone carrying a long-term illness of disability requiring treatment.
    Most athletes are drugged up to the eye-balls.
    It is the biggest carbon-burning event in the world.
    No-one wants the venues.
    They want it to be a peoples' Olympics - ie they want the majority of Londoners *who haven't got tickets to be volunteers!!!
    Anyone who writes stuff like this is branded an unpatriotic killjoy - never mind - there's the rest of eternity to say 'told you so'.
    Let's hope the Americans don't know it's on - they might visit and spend some money.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

And now because they have discovered there is a rare butterfly on Box Hill they have decided to reduce the number of visitors intending to watch the cycling event there by charging for tickets even though this is public land. You couldn't make it up!

7. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

I think they've now managed to bully the National Trust into cutting back the scrub for more spectators, a couple of days ago, so that's the Adonis Blue on the danger list.
    Yup - here it is:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jan/25/olympic-road-race-box-hill?newsfeed=true
    ..or have they added fees since then even?

8. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

181 days to go!

9. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

The Docklands Light Railway staff are already on for a £3,000 each bonus for working through the Olympics.

10. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

And the trains are driverless in any case! It makes me laugh that the powers be believe that running a few more trains on the DLR is going to solve the probably insurmountable of getting all and sundry over to the Olympic park en masse. I reckon it'll be total chaos.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

And the bomb scares will make it even worse. You don't think jokers are going to pass up the chance to cause even more confusion.

12. On a sporting note it will be great to have an opportunity to see some of the greatest athletes perform in our own country. The home advantage may even increase our medal tally!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Am I bovvered?

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Brilliant, yes I'm sure o/h could easily mend satellite uplinks and so on from a 70 mile distance!!! Mind you, mit would add an extra 4 hours of free time to each day.

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Only if our scientists can give our athletes better drugs than their scientists (and are better at hiding them from tests)!

Plus if you are only watching them on TV does it matter where they are running?

16. I take it your not a sports fan, never attended a cup final or other live sporting event? I attended the commenwealth games when they where in manchester and have
    to say it was fantastic. The atmosphere was amazing and it was great to be able support our athletes and some of the facilities built as a result have been great for some sports.
    We would only
    spend the vast amount of money on immigration anway!

17. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

Have a gold-medal for gullibility.
    The Olympics is just a corporate advertising beano, sponsored by companies mainly interested in making you fat, diabetic or causing high blood pressure.
    The Olympics gets here by bribery.
    London derives no benefit.
    Athletes - ha! The Games is also a covert festival for better drugs as blazer points out.
    You last sentence about immigration reaches hitherto undiscovered depths of inanity. If this were an ocean, you would be some new species of microbe blissfully unaware of the reality several fathoms above you.

18. andy - i think i would agree about inanity if i had a clue what this meant
    benefits - ah yes, apart from the constant-building -site effects, the diversion of the lottery money away from charities, the fact it's all going to cost the same sort of fortune that made the athens games an integral part of greece's current financial difficulties, the blue whatever butterfly can just join the long list of collateral damage including the manor gardens allotments, the traveller sites in newham and hackney and paving over some of hackney marshes football pitches for car parks (you couldn't make it up!)
    ps blazer - why are you in the horror-photo corner with bauble?

19. Of course its a corporate advertising beano, they pay the big bucks to be associated with whatever sport. That does not detract from what a great opportunity it is for our athletes (of which many are drug free) to win an olympic medal. I have a friend who will be competing at the games and is thankful for the opportunity to compete on home turf. I for one can only wish him good luck and the chance to change his life forever competing in a sport with marginal funding.
    There will be many benefits for many sports across the country so lets don our cola caps and mcdonalds endorsed flags and watch the greatest sporting event on the planet!

20. Well, sorry not to be a kill joy, but I am thrilled that we are hosting the Loymics and am looking forward to watching the cross country horse events live with my tickets - and seeing everything else on TV. I will be cheering on the British competitors and would love to live closer to where the action is taking place. When the Commonwealth Games were held here in Manchester, the atmosphere was electric and now the city has some modern sporting venues for the people to enjoy - like the Etihad Stadium!!
    Roll on the school holidays when I can sit glued to the TV!!
    My son will be working at the Olympics with the Army security team, he is in bomb disposal so hopes to get to the main athletics stadium for part of the time - what am amazing experience. If the fireworks on New Years Eve in London are anything to go by, the opeing and closing ceremonies should be worth watching as well.
    I am proud to the British and am looking forward to all that is going on this year, including the Royal Pageant on the Thames.