1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Youtube PE challenges

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by billcarson, Nov 3, 2015.

1. billcarson

billcarson New commenter

Hi everyone,

I have started at a new school & part of my performance management is to try to bring in ICT with the primary school PE. Speaking to my HOD we agreed that I would have a go at posting some youtube PE challenges.

Just wondering if people had some different ideas that might be worth using?

I thought of posting ideas like a 30sec plank challenge, headstand/handstand, football target passing, basketball tricks.

If anyone had some potential ideas that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

2. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

Can you juggle & unicycle?

If not ... learn!

Co-ordination skills are often lacking in PE teachers.

Kevin the Clown

3. circuskevin

With these skills you would have a lot more scope for posting youtube challenges.

Kevin the Clown

4. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

What? YouTube?

No. No. No. No. No. No.

I cannot understand a school's obsession with posting YouTube videos. Children may watch them for 2 seconds, then quickly switch to a Nicki Minaij video.

ICT in PE is easy. Show video clips to the pupils (even on YouTube - my beef is pupils accessing the videos themselves) and ask them to comment on them (verbally not YouTube comments).

If you have an IPad download apps like SprintTimer or Dartfish.

5. billcarson

billcarson New commenter

Hi ya,

Kevin, thank you for your ideas, yeah can juggle & unicycle etc, will have a look at doing them.

I use dartfish etc in lessons but the youtube challenges is meant to be for out of school ideas & something 'different' from a PE lesson but still sport related. Obviously not all pupils will look at it or even watch the whole video but at least it is a start.

Cheers

6. circuskevin

Can you do diabolo, Bill?

There was a pupil inspired diabolo craze in one primary school I visited years ago. Even the little ones could manage tricks. All sorts of rough old diabolos were in use.

A physical activity for out of school and playtimes which you could encourage.

Tricks are short and sweet. The pupils will no doubt surpass you. You could then put their tricks on YouTube for you to copy!

Kevin

7. billcarson

billcarson New commenter

Hi Kevin,

thank you for this, never tried diabolo - probably can't do it but will see if i can get my hands on one.

thanks for your help.

Cheers

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Playing Devil's Advocate; why are schools insistent on PE teachers bringing in ICT to PE lessons? Although there are ways in which this can be done (we have used iPads to record and stream pupil performance etc) I find that it actually detracts from the amount of activity time each child has. Considering that this (activity time) is also something high on the priority list I would say that the benefits of ICT in PE are far outweighed by it's disadvantages.

ICT is used in many other, class based, subjects where it is easier to implement and gives enough exposure to children. Leave it here.