1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

YouTube could replace teachers if recruitment crisis continues

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Mar 28, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

There’s been lots of talk about robots replacing teachers in the future, but how would you feel about students watching videos via YouTube in their lessons because of the staff shortages in some schools?

‘Schools might soon be forced to rely on YouTube videos to teach some parts of their lessons because of the recruitment crisis, a headteacher leader has suggested.

Geoff Barton, the general secretary of the Association of School and College Leaders, said schools might have to assume "we'll never have enough teachers", and re-design their lessons accordingly with technology.

Mr Barton was speaking at a conference on edtech this morning organised by the Education Policy Institute thinktank.’

Would you be happy for students to be taught this way? Do you think students would benefit from lessons that are more focused on flipped learning? What more can be done to attract more people to the profession?

https://www.tes.com/news/recruitment-crisis-could-see-youtube-replacing-teacher

2. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Education is broken.

3. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Senior commenter

So will the school's network and internet connection if we have every student watching YouTube videos most lessons!

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

In the mid 70s I worked as a lab tech in a teacher training college. The AV lab had a television studio. B&W cameras and big, reel to reel video machines. One of the lecturers had all of his lectures recorded. Then his class would be wheeled in to watch them. Same lecture shown time after time over several years. It seemed to work. However the students were motivated learners and then he could catch up with them for questions in tutorials. Not sure how it would work with bottom set yr 8 P5 on a friday.

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Well it would solve all the planning issues with demonstrating, scaffolding, differentiation, signposting,

Just play the video twice.

lardylegs, cathr, Eszett and 3 others like this.
  6. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

I was assuming that something like this is what they wanted in the first place.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

It would never be satisfactory. What about all the behaviour issues and disengaged learners? Would the pause button have to be continually pressed?

phlogiston likes this.
  8. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

A silly, stupid suggestion, not worthy of "news".

9. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

People would need to be paid to supervise students watching YouTube. Those people would require training. In the end it will soon become apparent that unless they pay people properly, no one will want to do the job of supervising YouTube.

10. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

Good luck with that. I struggle to get all 30 students to listen attentively to my teaching for 2 or 3 minutes at a time - and I am a live being who can interact with them and, crucially, issue sanctions for non-compliance.

11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

About 20 years ago, at a selective (grammar) school, we had a problem finding a 2nd teacher for an A Level subject (a subject only taught in the Sixth Form). Some bright spark found out about distance learning, and for the year half the lessons for the A Level were taught via a video link with a school hundreds of miles away. Needless to say, however good the lessons were, it was a disaster as the students quickly lost interest and chatted. Nowadays they would be on their mobile phones....

YouTube films would be the same...

12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

They were "going to replace teachers with telly" back in the '70s and '80s. In my first job the head was very keen on interactive video, a fair amount of energy was expended that way by others.
    Videos have often seemed an attractive option for lesson delivery - I have found that there is a big difference between a really good video which with additional material (usually generated by me) captures the interest of the class, and a large number of other videos which are worthy, or worse so boring that even I have no desire to watch them.
    A significant part of education is the human interaction - younger people learning from older people and each other.
    We've had one or two other threads on this topic, it's been said there.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  13. afterdark

afterdark Established commenter

I have heard this before, with VHS video for example. Never panned out. Only works with a certain demographic, certain group of students. For example I learned to program a computer from a book called 30 hr basic. These were also supposed to replace teachers.

And who marks the students' work then?

And what about the govenrment's beloved league tables?

If you want to attract people into teaching ....
    pay teachers more
    stop closing PRU and open more
    stop financially penalising schools for excluding students
    dissolve OFSTED, [you cannot have an organisation in existence that was set up on the basis of eliminating hoards of "bad teachers" and wonder why people are leaving teaching]
    force academies back into LEA
    get rid of league tables

I could go on...
    but there is something that the TES itself could do...stop being slyly anti-teachers with threads like this.

14. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

15. adam_nichol

adam_nichol Occasional commenter

Thru AR or VR (or some as yet unthought of alternate), remote learning may well be the future model of learning - with children in classrooms an anachronism. But not yet.....

BTBAM85 likes this.
  16. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Geoff Barton again? He really is something. If teaching were just a remote one-way transmission there would be no need for schools at all. But in reality in schools would need to employ people to make lots of educational videos, plan lessons, mark feedback, engage with students, check learning and discuss with parents. I wonder what sort of person could do that Mr Barton - DOH!

D2D3B3F5-8B1A-42EF-A48A-9038D55B8260.jpeg

17. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

If your teaching can be replaced by students watching you tube videos without detriment to their learning thenit should.

JohnJCazorla and phlogiston like this.
  18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Well half the classes I took this week would have learned exactly the same amount had they been watching videos. Two thirds of **** all!

JohnJCazorla and Mrsmumbles like this.
  19. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Oh I have. The YouTube thing would be turned off and ‘Cats Wearing Krayyyyyyzeeee Hats’would be flipped on, on repeat, by Bad Boy Benny Bunny. You know that would happen. If the stuff was good, they might use it, but more like a re-watchable digital learnjng film. Mr Bruff is popular. Although I still have nomidea hiw he makes his money when all his GCSE English YouTube goodies are free. He tutors online, so some kids pay him for that..maybe the uploads he puts onto YouTube are half the lesson, I don’t know. But he is having an impact. Problem is, most of thr stuff is not of that standard. Khan academy is another one. It is changing and I fesr the human teacher will soon be as obsolete as a horse drawn cab driver. Which is not to say that we should be made obsolete or that the replacement will be better!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    JohnJCazorla likes this.
  20. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Enigmatic post!

Rott Weiler likes this.