1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

youtube and things

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Nov 15, 2011.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I have used a prog called any video convertor to save a fim or two from youtub so question please
    I can convert it to other formats ,,,,,,but which is best
    I want to save the film so i can play them eventyally on the tv once i have connected the laptop to the tv.......not even sur ehow one does that witha CRT tv .unles i do it through virgin plus box
    But if i wnted t play it on the comp would i use windows media player or another and so convert the movie files to this?
    how much space would a 1 hour film take up on a memory stick do you reckon?

2. oldsomeman

I have used a prog called any video convertor to save a fim or two from youtub so question please
    I can convert it to other formats ,,,,,,but which is best
    I want to save the film so i can play them eventyally on the tv once i have connected the laptop to the tv.......not even sur ehow one does that witha CRT tv .unles i do it through virgin plus box
    But if i wnted t play it on the comp would i use windows media player or another and so convert the movie files to this?
    how much space would a 1 hour film take up on a memory stick do you reckon?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have a cable that goes from my laptop to the tv so that I can play anything I want on the tv, including youtube videos without having to save them or convert them into other programmes. Might that be easier?

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Thanks, oldsomeman, you've given me the oportunity to ask another question about youtube downloads. I can save music to my computer, and I can listen to it on my computer, but when I transfer it to CD, it doesn't work on my audiogram. I don't have this problem when I copy tracks from CDs and transfer them to other CD's I compile, What's the trick?

5. oldsomeman

this si not my doinf ive bee duplicated bog off

6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Depends on the quality/definition

You tube used to be 8MBPS for 1080p video which gives you something like 4Gb per hour but recently with changes to higher bitrates and higher resolutions that can be doubled, tripled or even more.
    There are so many variables that the best way to find out is to try it and see.

Can be one of two things (or more)
    Can be the format of the music and can be the recording system
    Sounds like it is probably the former

7. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Most devices that can accept a usb stick and play videos will accept a number of formats. You will need to look in the manual but commonly accept formats are mpeg2, MKV and mp4.

My blueray will play the videos I have on my NASbox which were recorded on my stand alone video recorder box. These were recorded in mpeg2.

If you want maximum versatility you could get a cheap Kodi box as they are known. This is a small computer running Android usually with Kodi added. Kodi will pretty much play any format.