1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Youtube and the rules - hope someone knows the answer.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3279, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Hello.
    Does anyone know that rules about putting videos of people on Youtube. For instance, is it right and proper to put videos of students performing assessment material on Youtube? Also, if you happened to be in the video doing work with the students and happened to find your own performance on Youtube, how would you feel?
    (I'm aware that sounds a bit loaded btw, sorry)
    Thanks in advance, Poeme.

2. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Personally, I'd want to put it on a site that only the pupils can access, but that's just me.

3. But say that the students don't know the videos are up on YouTube? Say the teachers in the videos didn't know they were on YouTube until they found out by accident?
    Doesn't it break data protection rules and stuff like that if permission isn't sought beforehand?

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Nothing whatsoever to do with Data Protection

5. doomzebra

So far as I understand the law, if the filming occurred legally in a public place (and a school does count as a public place in this context) then the video can be used by the person who took the film for any non-commercial purposes. If the video is in some way derogatory or likely to expose the participants to ridicule then civil law can be used to compel its removal.
    The reason schools need permission to use photographs, videos of pupils is that their use in a prospectus, brochure, website etc is regarded as for marketing purposes and hence falls foul of the "non-commercial" restriction.
    If the person who recorded the video did not have permission to be operating the video equipment (mobile phones included) during the performance then you have a legal right to request removal of the video from YouTube or other websites

6. OK, thank you for that.
    So, as I understand it, it is perfectly alright for a teacher to video students doing their coursework and post it on YouTube for anyone to see even if permissions haven't been sought and the people in the video haven't been informed?
    Does that mean that any teacher, in any school or other educational establishment, can do this with their lesson content?
    What about if the video was of another teacher's assessment materials and that teacher (and the students) didn't know that the videos would be posted on YouTube?
    See, I think it's a desperately unprofessional thing to do! I was a bit shocked to find my student's assessment performances on YouTube given that I always reassure them that it won't be posted there!

7. doomzebra

Desperately unprofessional, and possibly against your school's own internal rules and codes, but not actually illegal.

8. Thanks again.
    It seems that our children/young people aren't quite as protected from the internet as perhaps their parents envisage.

9. This is the legal stuff with respect to posting photos on the internet that I came across yesterday. I would imagine the same goes for videos. It is specifically for a particular use of uploading photos to a science websit, and aimed at (amongst other businesses) schools.
    http://www.hiddensciencemap.org/sites/default/files/Hidden_Science_Map_Legal_1.pdf
    The other thing that may be an issue with respect to a performance is the copywrite of the author and the performance rights.

10. I think the school retains the copywrite on any materials made on their premises by anyone in their employment. They would have ultimate say, but need the permission of the individuals in the material. Which most schools have on record for their own publicity uses, i.e. they will have a list of students whose parents have not given permission for such things.

11. doomzebra

copyright