1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

YouTube and the notion of 'flip-teaching'.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by WrightMaths, Mar 19, 2016.

?

Is YouTube going to dominate our teaching in the next five years?

1. Yes

20.0%
  2. No

70.0%
  3. Unsure

10.0%
  1. WrightMaths

WrightMaths New commenter

i have just created my own YouTube channel to help some of the 2000+ students at my school, I was wondering how many others of you out there value this resource.

2. WJClarkson

WJClarkson Occasional commenter

I teach History and RE, and for the GCSE RE students I show them a channel called "MrMcMillanREvis." They find it very useful.

3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I teach a bit of A level physics but have not taught lower years for many years as this is now my second subject. I will refer to an experiment I assume the students would have done lower down in the school but often there are bemused, bewildered looks. A quick visit to YouTube and invariably the experiment is there.

When I was are school the only visual aid we had was a proper film shown in the hall where there was a projector and screen or there were those tape loop machines that had a cassette of film that lasted about a couple of minutes with no sound. The only film I can remember being shown was the Tacoma narrows bridge that twisted and bucked itself to destruction. Does anybody else remember these?

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Remember this one well.

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Been using it for years. It's just one more resource

What is "the notion of flip teaching"?

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Imagine plumbing which pumps from a sewer rather than flushing into it.

7. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Flip teaching as I understand it is where the students learn the stuff at home and what they would have done for homework they do in class. I'm sure there's more to it than this but this was how it was explained to us.

8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Youtube is handy but I don't record lessons on it or anything. Kids just have such shocking general knowledge it is useful to fill in gaps in context.

Flipped lessons don't work if kids don't have resources and a safe place for study at home.

9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Thanks Vince. I guessed as much.