1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Youth (& some adults) spitting in the street

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nobleelk, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Nope just 'gobby' youths. Unless they're all descendants of cowboys from the old wild west.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Coincidentally TB is actually in the news, with new drug resistant TB posing an increasing risk and old fashioned TB killing millions:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21894488
    We can't kid ourselves that TB isn't a problem for us all:
    "With ease of international travel, and increased rates of MDR
    tuberculosis in eastern Europe, central Asia, and elsewhere, the threat
    and range of the spread of untreatable tuberculosis is very real," the
    report said."
    "One of the report's authors, Prof Alimuddin Zumla, said: ""It's a
    growing problem in London and a huge, huge problem in Europe - it's in
    our backyard at the moment."

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

This will be khat. Apparently Clapham Junction is the biggest distribution centre for it in the UK. It is popular among the Somalis in Wandsworth. They get stoned on it but its use is not against the law apparently

4. This has come up on here before. Yes it is considered cultural and Police were asked not to harrass youngsters by referring to it.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'm a Nimby.[​IMG]

6. Another good reason to re-visit research & practical use of phages

7. In the 1970s I went to Birmingham for an interview at the university. I caught a bus from New Street station to Edgbaston. There were large notices on the bus about spitting being prohibited. I was horrified. I had travelled to school in S London by bus for years and never seen anyone spit let alone a notice on the subject. It put me off Birmingham totally.

8. We will all have to become NNIMBY, NotNIMBY :)

9. tidal

tidal New commenter

I thought the last line was worthy of at least a [​IMG]
    If not a [​IMG]
    or even a [​IMG]
    *sighs*

10. Nay, indeed, if you had your eyes, you might fail of
    the knowing me: it is a wise father that knows his
    own child. Well, old man, I will tell you news of
    your son: give me your blessing: truth will come
    to light; murder cannot be hid long; a man's son
    may, but at the length truth will out.
    Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice.

11. I wasted time, and now doth time waste me

Shakespeare Richard II

12. Sorry completely of track but I keep reading your name as nob leek and it makes me chuckle.

Sorry again. .. as you were.

13. That's a first Franklyn2, you've given me reason to chuckle too & I grew up in Wales but try not be a nob too often!

14. Thanks again, nob leek, classic

15. Glad it amused you too! :)

16. Latest spitting news (from Finland)

Three boys competing to spit on each other over a bus shelter, running around. Other travellers stand stoically in the icy wind

17. Another warmer day, ice & snow melting rapidly, only real problem is the masses of grit & several months dog mess appearing all at once!

18. The last time some under-civilised, ill-bred scum-male spat in a bus-stop I stood in, the wind blew his sputum onto my boot. Emboldened by the rest of the queue, I wiped my boot down his trouser-leg. He accepted the rebuke, which surprised me. I had already located and opened the Swiss army knife in my bag just in case.
    It disgusts me more than I can say. Can someone come up with something more repulsive? Wiping yer **** on my bedroom curtains is a very poor second.

19. I find pissing in the vicar's tea is often received with less than christian vocabulary.
    cyolba, not afraid to ask where the loo was :)

20. Might surprise me, cyolba; wouldn't disgust me.