1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Youth (& some adults) spitting in the street

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nobleelk, Mar 24, 2013.

1. It's not often that I'm bothered by, or can be bothered to comment on public behaviour but the amount of spitting in public, particularly around bus stops, train platforms, etc has become excessive this Winter. I'm not referring to the odd gob of spit, but enough to form frozen lumps around bus stops. I wonder, is this common practice in other places? Yes, I admit this is a Meldrew post, but I'm mildly interested in what's going on elsewhere (Other bad habits, I know there's much, much worse!)

2. It's not often that I'm bothered by, or can be bothered to comment on public behaviour but the amount of spitting in public, particularly around bus stops, train platforms, etc has become excessive this Winter. I'm not referring to the odd gob of spit, but enough to form frozen lumps around bus stops. I wonder, is this common practice in other places? Yes, I admit this is a Meldrew post, but I'm mildly interested in what's going on elsewhere (Other bad habits, I know there's much, much worse!)

3. I told a group of boys that it was disgusting. Their response?
    'Everybody does it'.
    Er, no. They don't.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Spitting was still unacceptable when I was a girl as a result of the spread of TB in previous decades.
    Televised spitting by athletes and footballers has made it "acceptable".
    I've had perfectly respectable adults (men) tell me that they have to spit as though it's a medical necessity for the average person. It is not. Ever. Not even if you're playing football. Or sport.
    It's disgusting to spit in public and, I suspect, will, eventually, lead to the spread of diseases again.

5. Aye - and apparently antibiotics will soon be useless (was just talking about this being my 'worst nightmare' - hopefully it won't happen for a few more generations...)
    We're doomed.

6. Coffeekid, somewhere in the uk? I taught in Norfolk most recently & student habits did not include much spitting

7. Yes, the UK.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Only this morning I heard on the news that a new more virulent from of TB has arrived so even more reason to stop this vile practice of spitting. There used to be notices in public buildings saying 'Do not spit, to avoid consumption'.
    Worse is a practice I noticed in Greece where men blow their noses on their fingers and then shake the snot off onto the ground. [​IMG]

9. seren_dipity, I hadn't really considered the spread of disease aspect, but you certainly have a point

10. Snot in Greece, that is worse!

11. In some areas the chewing of certain leaves makes the spit a weird red brown colour. Councils spend thousands cleaning it and were accused of racism/culturism when they introduced fines.
    My SIL was vaguely hysterical, she lives in one such area, when her neighbours solemnly explained to her that the tb in spit was a conspiracy theory against them.... she has recenlty recovered form pulmonary tb and it is not beyond possibility that she caught it from street spitting, though as she is a community nurse, that isn't the only possibility.

12. 576

576 Established commenter

Ordinarily I'm not a spitter but there are times when I do have to.
    - when you've been to the dentist and your mouth is all numb
    - when I used to run I often found that whilst running I would produce excess saliva so yes I needed to spit.
    I have also taught overseas in a school where it was usual for students to step outside the classroom to spit. I don't know why they produced more saliva than British students but they appeared to.

13. You do not have to spit on the ground though! Surely it's easy enough to spit into a tissue and then dispose of it appropriately.

14. Yes, there are health implications & if spitting is claimed to be a 'cultural habit' it's certainly one that need to be stamped out

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

There are people who are unable to swallow but I feel sure that you are not one of them, 576!
    I've been to the dentist, I've had a numb mouth - there has never once been a time when I had to spit in public!
    Same with running - I assume indoor runners don't spit on the track so it clearly isn't a medical necessity.
    It's just a filthy habit that some people have.

16. No quarrel with anyone who needs to spit for medical reasons, even if they don't find a paper handy, but almost all of this has to be gratuitous spitting

17. Why not? If someone has a medical condition that necessitates a lot of spitting, why would they not carry paper hankies with them?
    No excuses for spitting - none.

18. There is much spitting in my part of London mainly by youths. It is disgusting and unecessary.

19. I was considering the situation when someone might be 'caught short' but I agree entirely, no excuses

20. Is this ever excused as 'cultural'?