1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Youth hostelling up the West Cost of Scotland

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cosmos, Apr 13, 2012.

1. I stayed in the YH at Crianlarich a couple of years ago. Perfectly comfortable, at least one pub within walking distance and glorious scenery.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

It is friday the 13 kibosh! lol
    thank you for that.thats the sort of info i need.......and you other good folk.....not sure the wil fit a400cc motor scooter on the mallaig train though! lo...think i might oprefer to drive as want to photograph as i go.
    Hope my rear dont get too sore lol///mind you i am getting the sheepsking saaddle covering ready lol
    I havent set a time for the length of the journey as im hoping if i like a place i might be able to get on my walking boots and do some easy walks.......amazing 2 stone lighter and i feel i am able to go walking again!,

3. You seem to have a few distilleries on that list...

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

That's good. There's lots of walking to be done. Everywhere. Just remember to pack a good waterproof, some maps, sun screen, a woolly hat, sunglasses, midge repellent, spare memory cards for your camera . . . . . . even in June the weather can be a fickle beast . . . . . . nearly all the ferries will take bikes etc. . . . . there's not one that I know of that's for foot passengers only . . . . .. you might find this website helpful for Mull . . . . it's a very big Island
    http://www.holidaymull.co.uk/

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

6. oldsomeman

Thanks Kibosh
    At the moment the route seems to be Androssan to Arron...Mckintyre...Islay..collansay...Oban..Mull. through to Ardamuchran then follow costal road to mallaig///to sky.if time permits then......through stormferry aounf coas to applecross and upward rounf to dhieldaig and kinlochewe....maybe home from there
    What i don know is if a few days on each island wil be enough......especially if i want to photograph>
    Mull i have been to before and it didnt impress me too much..but it might be different if im on the scooter and with no wife tagging on! lol.

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Arran is lovely and quite varied in terms of scenery - give yourself 2 days there. Islay I've never been to myself, but relatives of mine have and from what they have told me, I reckon two days too. Colonsay I have spent quite a bit of time on, many moons ago now, 2 days and make sure you take in the big sandy bay at Kiloran.
    Adnamurchan is where, as a child, we went camping every summer holiday. The whole coastline is beautiful and with the views out to Muck, Eigg and Rhum the horizon is interesting and varied. Make sure you pop in by Kilchoan and take the road up to the lighthouse.
    Mallaig used to be good for buying fresh crab straight off of the boats - not sure about nowadays.

8. oldsomeman

I reckon that if i do two days on each place ill do 19days before even motoring any further
    The other alternative is to ignore the islands except skye and then motor on up the coast..trouble is im unsure which is best.......
    Thanks you so much for your time spent answering.......just hope the weather is kind to me as scotland is a miserable place for sight seain g if it rains lol

9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

If you've not done a solo adventure for a while I would perhaps count this trip as the first in a series ;-)) Go easy and don't overdo it, then next summer come back up and venture further North . . . . on the other hand if you can take the entire month of June and don't feel you'll miss your home comforts too much, then do the lot and plan for about 4 - 5 days on Skye.

10. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Senior commenter

I think this would be an excellent starting point.
    If it were me, I would have to fit in a visit to Glencoe and Rannoch Moor. If you wanted to take photographs, I'm sure you'd get some lovely ones there. My son's friend comes up from London every so often to go hill walking there and take photographs - which he sells.

http://visit-glencoe.co.uk/discover-rannoch-moor-and-the-mountains-of-glencoe
    Bridge of Orchy Hotel is lovely with excellent food. They take bookings out of season for as little as £25, although I doubt if those rates will be available in June. They also have a 'Bunk House', though. I've never been in it but the rates seem very reasonable at £18.
    http://www.bridgeoforchy.co.uk/ There is also a youth hostel at Glencoe.

http://www.visit-glencoe.co.uk/location_map/map/map.html

I hope that this is the summer I'll actually get round to doing this:
    http://www.scotland-inverness.co.uk/jacobite.htm

I'm sure you'll have a lovely adventure.

11. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hope you enjoy yourself oldie and that the sun shines for you.
    Reading this thread, I'm thoroughly ashamed at how little of my home country I've travelled. I tend to see going abroad as a 'proper holiday'.
    Wrong, I know ...

12. oldsomeman

Having done the sums i think it will have to be a ride around the coast rather than than visiting the islands.....the ferry costs alone come to over 330 including hopscotch fares......that would pay for the petrol for the bike going around the coast./
    Mind you i enjoy riding solo around on the bike so thats no hassle..only the 1000 mile ride which might dent even my most generous bottom lol
    I am going but i might just have to change the direction! lol

13. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

I was going to say the one serious fault of YH's is there is ALWAYS some clown who gets up at 4:30 and spends over an hour rummaging loads of Tesco bags. The mind boggles as to why these people cannot in the least take all these plastic bags outside the dorm and pack them/play with them there. But then I realised that more often than not the people doing this were pushbikers or scooter riders....... :)

14. oldsomeman

hhah thank you dumpty...im an expert at carrier bag moving...not sure about rustling....maybe not if i have a scot witha claymore chasing me!

15. Hi oldsomeman,
    I've been to a great hostel in Oban:
    http://www.obanbackpackers.com/
    I went this august 2011, friendly and really comfy common room/dining, you can read on a sofa and still feel like you've got your own space, breakfast included in price and we were told to help ourselves to cereal before we left for our 6am ferry.
    Happy holiday planning, good choice on a beautiful area.

16. oldsomeman

Ok you experts here a suggested intenery
    what i am not sure how much time i would need at each stop to explore as i dont intend to just ride and opass by..i would like to see some of the places
    Ardrossan...to Mull
    mull to calaonaig and Kintyre
    up the coast divering tp keillmore and on to Oban
    Oban to Mull
    Tobamory to Kilchoan and then aound the coast to Mallaig
    Mallaig to Skye
    skye towards Ulla pool
    If i have time then round coast to Jon O groats a then home
    I would value your imput as to time to take especially on the isles as with exception of Skye i have not been to them before,Also things i might stop and see on this trip.
    Starting to get excited at the prospect lol

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Are you still planning all this in a month?

18. oldsomeman

well im going to see how far i get in 10 actual days up there.allowing 2 each way for travel as im getting old lol

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I suspect Scotland isn't as small as you think, oldsome, if you're planning that itinerary for a ten day trip.

20. oldsomeman

I can but try.if i get waylaid by scotlands dazzle i can always come back another day and do the rest....but i have to have a plan and start somewhere serendip.I was gonna call on you but then decided to go to arran and so have to forgo the delight of calling [​IMG]