1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

youth group activity suggestions

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dominant_tonic, Aug 17, 2012.

1. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

I and one other is taking a group of about 15 teenagers (11-16yrs approx) to Bournemouth for the week. I am looking for some activities to do with them. I need three, each lasting between about 40 minutes and an hour.
    Previously I have done the marshmallows and spaghetti build a tower thing, and they loved it. SO looking for those sorts of ideas if anyone has any suggeestions?
    We have use primarily of an indoor area, and a smaller not much use outdoor area.
    Any suggestions gratefully received!!
    Thanks

2. Give them a roll of tin foil in groups of 2 or 3 and a few other bits and pieces and get them to be fashion designers? You'll be astonished at the outfits you can create from that!

3. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Thank you:)i thought this was going to be the first time TES had let me down with no answer! TES community between them know everything!!
    Not a bad idea at all. I have come up with three I think may work - using your foil suggestion as a base got me googling - thank you :)
    Activity 1) Spaghetti bridge, 40 mins for them to create the strongest bridge using load to weight ratio.
    2) Frozen t-shirts - silly one. Have asked them all to bring an old t-shirt with them. Am going to wet and freeze them, and the first team to get themdefrosted and on wins.With the proviso of no hot water So I am guessing hair dryers, hand dryers, breaking of wind, body heat etc.
    3) Foil origami. Bought loads of tin foil, and they have forty minutes to make as many origami, identifiable, animals as possible, following detailed isntructions.
    I hope these will be suitable - i really want them to enjoy. Was hoping to wear them out physically to ensure some sleep, but I guess that will have to be in the afternoons.:)
    Thanks again, domton

4. A bit late...but another suggestion is for them to create their own short film or music video (if you have a video camera, and a laptop to show it on). They'd have to write storyline, allocate roles, etc. Hope you have a great time.