1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Youth culture and class.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jolly_Roger1, Sep 15, 2014.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

Ah, Biba...

...and loons, Afghan dresses [weren't they lovely?] and old fur coats, forties frocks from the market, Astral Weeks and the Doors... not forgetting the patchouli oil, of course.

etc etc blah blah blah

2. oeufsmiroir

oeufsmiroir New commenter

Yeah the only problem with Biba was when I said I was a size 12, I seemed to become a 14 in their fit...... not a place for tall girls.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

The place for you was Wallis, where the opposite applied and all their clothes were for tall girls. It was lovely back then - do you remember their coats?

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

That was me too!

5. oeufsmiroir

Yes well we had probably worked that one out!

6. oeufsmiroir

Yea I got many a thing from Wallis.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Eh?

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

I think OM is telling us that I wasn't the only one who knew that Wallis sizes were different from teh rest of the high street.

9. oeufsmiroir

Bit like M&S. I can squeeze a 12 there even now, but if I went into a fashion boutique I would be lucky at a 14. It's the bosom bit that be the problem.

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Oh, I wasn't sure what the comment referred to.

Wallis in Oxford Street also had special mirrors that made you look really thin.

11. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I remember the covers of LPs being part of the attraction. The ones that roger Dean did for Yes, those elaborate fold out ones, like the spoof local newspaper for Tull's 'Thick as a Brick. A much sought after cover was the US version of Santana's 'Lotus', which folded out like a flattened cube. Being seen with a wacky LP cover was a reflection of what you hoped others would see as your sophisticated taste in music.

12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

As opposed to your epic levels of pretension...

[​IMG]