1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Youth culture and class.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jolly_Roger1, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

I was partial to some Wishbone Ash, Camel, & Caravan (don't know why I associate them together).

Free were also a big part of my early sound track

2. tidal

tidal New commenter

We started earlier up this end
    I was in the last entry year of the grammar school before it headed towards Sixth Form College status and (horror of horrors) went co-ed.

So not only did I have no youngsters to bully but was forcibly introduced to girls

Though I have to admit that i welcomed them with open arms

When I got half a chance

3. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Happy birthday, Nanook.. I have to wait until Sunday for my 59th birthday (hint?). I had forgotten Soft Machine, Spirogyra, Matching Mole, and others from the Canterbury Muso scene. For, I think, my 15th birthday, my father bought me a pair of Sony stereo headphones; a gift with benefits for everyone in the house!

My school mates were green with envy when I reached my 16th birthday, in 1971, as I missed the raising of the motorcycling age by a few weeks. I was rorting around on a Bantam while they had to be content with their poxy mopeds!

4. tidal

tidal New commenter

More than a few weeks JR

I rode a tiger cub followed by a speed twin with side-car and I won't hit tat age until November

5. Nanook_rubs_it

Thanks Tidal & Jolly_Roger, I had assumed I was one of the old b-ggers; I feel much more sprightly now [​IMG]

Edit for spelling!

6. Dangerous Bauble

Dangerous Bauble Occasional commenter

Happy birthday Nanook. :¬))

Do you think it was the album covers that attracted the grammar school/ art college types to the likes of Yes, Uriah Heap, Genesis etc?

7. Jolly_Roger1

I thought the motorcycling age was put up from 16 to 17 at the end of 1971.

In November 71, I remember going down to Oxford St. and splashing out on two LPs: 'Fearless' by the Family and Led Zep4. there was a big record shop there (Does anyone remember its name? Was it 'Our Price or HMV'?), which sold LPs for 25/- (sorry; £1 25p.).

8. tidal

tidal New commenter

It was but even I managed to snuck in in mid november ( can''t find the actual date)
    Makes me laugh now to realise that small bikes came in in 71 and helmets didn't become compulsory until June 73

Nov 71 - I got a copy of PaaE by ELP and according to my ancient notebook** an album by Led Zep for my birthday
    (Though which one it doesn't say (there's some weird squiggles in the list)
    I wasn't a huge Zep fan but my older brother was so he probably bought it for me

9. Jolly_Roger1

[​IMG]

Was this the one, Tidal? It did have those sort of runic squiggles on it but most called it Led Zep 4. Its the one with 'Battle of Evermore' and 'Stairway to Heaven' on it. (Don't records look primitive now; especially the thick ones you used to get before about 1970).

It tried looking for the exact date on which the riding age was raised to 17 but I could not find it. If you did not get caught by it, it must have been not long before Xmas 71. My first driving license was a little, red book (nothing to do with Mao!) and the test pass certificate you got really was pink.

Did you used to wear a crash helmet, before the law was brought in? I must admit that, although I bought a Stadium Project 2 for the test (the cheapest one you could get, in Halfords), I hardly ever wore it. It was just too much fag, and very 'un-cool' to carry it about. My father encouraged me i this, as he declared that helmets were for "Nancy Boys."

I must admit to a large measure of schadenfreude watching my younger contemporaries perched atop Puch Maxis, Raleigh Runabouts and Norman Nippies.

10. tidal

tidal New commenter

Yep that's the one
    I thought I must have been doodling on the list

Somewhere in my boxes I have both my little red book provi licence as I replaced it at some point after it got "lost" (It's in with the quatrofold original log book for my first bike )

Yes
    But only after I got the facial scars I still bear to this day. Someone left a manhole cover off at top of a hill)
    But the braking effect of my face on the tarmac did stop me from head-butting a lamp post
    Since then I have never not worn one

Anyway they stopped my (very) long hair getting tangled into a comb-breaker [​IMG]

11. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

In my day it was Oasis/Dodgy/Blur etc for your average teen and happy hardcore/Prodigy etc for the 'lower classes.'

In 2014 what kids play on their X-box probably defines class. Grand theft auto for the chavatariat and Minecraft etc for the more middle class.

However, most people would surely agree that 'working/middle/upper' as a trichotomy no longer properly represents 2014. The latest class survey defined 7 classes with the 'Precariat' as one class, pretty much defining nearly everybody between 18 and those that own their own home.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

70s youth also. Long hair, tank tops. Watched Birmingham City and spent my money on Slade and T rex records (well just about any glam rock really).

At my school our 'enemies' were the 'Khrishnas' ! Our name for those weirdy people who likes Yes, ELP, etc

13. Dangerous Bauble

Dangerous Bauble Occasional commenter

"spent my money on Slade and T rex records (well just about any glam rock really)."

I thought you were a bloke. :¬))

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Cheeky! I still have my Bovva Boots and I'll be round your house!

Best not to mention my collection of Gary Glitter vinyl!

15. Jolly_Roger1

I am sorry to hear that you had a bad spill from your bike. Nothing quite so unpleasant has happened to me, although have some traces of 'gravel rash' on my right thigh, looking a bit like miner's blue scaring.

My red book license was returned to me when the new Swansea green ones came in. I am glad that I kept it, because when I got one of the new photo licenses I found that my bike entitlement had gone!. Swansea only restored it when I sent them a notarised photocopy of my old 72- 75 license.

I tried for the Rick Wakeman hairstyle but mine went curly at the ends much longer than the top of my shoulders.

16. Nanook_rubs_it

Not being naturally an 'arty' type, I'm not sure about that, but it might have taught us techies to be more appreciative of art than we might otherwise have been...

17. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

100%

All that bloated prog rock nonsense. They were classically trained dontyouknow? Lol.

Utterly ridiculous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank goodness The Clash came along...

18. Nanook_rubs_it

Not being naturally an 'arty' type, I'm not sure about that, but it might have taught us techies to be more appreciative of art than we might otherwise have been...

19. inky

inky Lead commenter

I misread that - must be my youth coming back to haunt me!

20. oeufsmiroir

oeufsmiroir New commenter

Goodness, I must have passed you all on my way to Biba!