1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Youth culture and class.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jolly_Roger1, Sep 15, 2014.

1. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

My sisters 'had' those in their sights and we were generous in sharing, Dangerous. Eldest sis has Donny and David C (selfish mare!) Second sis had Marc Bolan - I still remember her telling me he'd died. Youngest sis had Jimmy O, so I was left with the Bay City cuties : )

2. tidal

tidal New commenter

In certain areas she was an outstanding young lady and as a young man such things took precedence.

I'm not even going near the area of taste as I do not wish to lower the tone of the conversation

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I was all Pink Floyd in 1973/4 when I was 18. I'd have been horrified if my interest had been shared by anyone I considered plebeian. I was a frightful snob. Still am, I suppose.

I don't know what boys of my age thought. I had nothing to do with boys. I think boys at the parallel educational establishment were probably also into the Floyd. Or maybe something slightly more esoteric?

4. Dangerous Bauble

Dangerous Bauble Occasional commenter

Or maybe something slightly more esoteric?

Like The Velvet Underground. I was in love with Nico. Still am probably.

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Two Glaswegians, Erchie and Jimmy, are sitting in the pub discussing Jimmy's forthcoming wedding.....

'Och, it's all goin' pure brilliant,' says Jimmy. 'A've got everythin' organised awready, the fluers, the church, the caurs, the reception, the rings, the meenister. Even ma stag night'.

Erchie nods approvingly.

'I've even bought a kilt to be married in!' continues Jimmy.

'A kilt?' exclaims Erchie, 'that's braw, you'll look pure smairt in
    that'!

'An' whit's the tartan?' Erchie then enquires.

'Och,' says Jimmy, 'A'd imagine she'll be in white!'

6. grumpydogwoman

Oh, I loved Nico too!

7. Dangerous Bauble

There was something about her.

8. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

[​IMG]

could it be cheekbones?

9. Dangerous Bauble

Smouldering eyes.

10. lurk_much

those too

11. grumpydogwoman

It was the voice!

12. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

We are the same age, GDW! In 73-4, I was very self-consciously into the 'weird stuff' like the Floyd, Passion Play, Tonto's Expanding Head Band, Tangerine Dream*, Broselmaschine*, etc., and I looked down on those who listened to anything in the charts. Two of the pieces of background music to 73 - 4 were Dark Side of the Moon (good, if a little 'commercial') and Tubular Bells (bloody awful).

We had a parallel girls' school but it was miles away and we did not mix. Prog rock was a very male thing, if the concert audiences were anything to go by.

(* condemned by my father as "That German ****".)

13. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Black Sabbath & Slade were definitely mutually exclusive...saw BS (aged 11) at the Royal Albert Hall in 1971; never been the same since...I would have been mortally offended for them to have been mentioned in the same breath.

I was definitely working class, may have been considered 'under class' by todays standards, but 'Rock' (I didn't know terms like metal, prog etc until much later) was a broad church...BS/Deep Purple/Zeppelin through King Crimson to ELP and eventually to Yes...can remember being in the playground at school when 'Brain Salad Surgery' was released & finding out 'Jerusalem' was a hymm (Catholic up bringing...).

Music was an identifying culture at school and kids would come into school with their latest albums to pore over and discuss cover designs and lyrics

No record collection was complete without:

Abraxas - Santana

DSotM / WYWH - Pink Floyd

Zeppelin 1 to 4, Physical Graffiti

Tubular Bells - Oldfield (everybody else had it...)

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida - Iron Butterfly

Weasels Ripped My Flesh / Apostrophe / One Size Fits All - Frank Zappa

Derek & Clive Live

What does that say about my 'class'?

14. tidal

tidal New commenter

Too many youngsters on here [​IMG]

15. Nanook_rubs_it

It's my 53rd birthday today & that is the nicest thing anybody has said to me!!!

16. lurk_much

Happy birthday nanook.

I am your age but bog standard middle class and I had the same record collection as you apart from dereck and clive.

That must be the class defining interesting record*

edited out

*pile of poo.

17. tidal

tidal New commenter

I'm only nigh on 6 years your senior so don't let it go to your head [​IMG]

Happy birthday btw [​IMG]

18. grumpydogwoman

Pretentious girls (including moi) were into the Floyd and Yes but not so much the endless guitar riffs.

You know. Clapton, Beck.

Also Soft Machine, Wishbone Ash, Kraftwerk were cool in those long-gone days.

19. tidal

tidal New commenter

and GDW is even older than I am [​IMG]

20. Nanook_rubs_it

Cheers!

I was fortunate that the local Grammar school went comp the year I went to secondary, so had the advantage of the Grammar school teachers/ethos without having to take or, more importantly, pass the 11+.

Also meant there were posh kids who helped to raise my aspirations...