1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Youth culture and class.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jolly_Roger1, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

A quote from Dominic Sandbrook's, 'State of Emergency: The way we were: 1970-74', suggesting that youth culture of the Seventies was as deeply divided by class as that of adults.

"A teenager who wore his hair long and spent his Saturdays cheering on Kevin Keegan and John Toshack, and spent his earnings on Slade and Black Sabbath records, probably had little in common with one who grew his hair, affected vaguely countercultural fashions, and spent his days listening to In the Court of the Crimson King or Tales from Topographic Oceans."

Do you think this applied to you? How about now?

2. Dangerous Bauble

Dangerous Bauble Occasional commenter

Well as 70's youth I had long hair I followed Liverpool and owned King Crimson, Yes and Black Sabbath albums. If cheesecloth shirts and loons with an air force great coat were vaguely counter culture then i was that as well.

And I don't really think that in 74 Slade and Sabbath were in the same "taste" bracket.

3. tidal

tidal New commenter

A masterly under-statement DB [​IMG]

Were we "classified" by what we wore/did/listened to
    Yep
    As were generations before us and since......
    Nothing much changes

4. Dangerous Bauble

If anything the culture divide was between long haired, denim clad prog rockers and short haired ,oxford bags / levi stay-press clad Motown fans.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Neither applied to me. I hated football, never owned a record player, and my hair was neither very short nor very long. I didn't like Slade/Glam or Prog Rock. Thank God for the filth and fury of Punk in 1976.

6. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

That struck me as being odd, too.. I left school in 74, and my hitherto sheltered life had not exposed me to anyone openly liking Black Sabbath. The quote caught my eye as I recognised something of myself in the hairy, Yes listener, although my upbringing was definitely working class. Perhaps grammar school had 'cut me adrift from my social roots'.[​IMG]

I will come right out and admit to liking Prog Rock. I still have not got over the assault of Punk.

7. Dangerous Bauble

I wish Toshack and Keegan were playing this evening.

8. bluelemonade

bluelemonade Occasional commenter

Interesting how this thread means male youth culture and class from what I read.

9. Dangerous Bauble

Lol and as such has no place on the matriarchal society that is TES.

10. oeufsmiroir

oeufsmiroir New commenter

No indeed, it means that as women have to cope with more and more fall-out from the feckless men, they have to find ways to cope also.

11. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

King Crimson, Camel, Genesis, Yes. John Arrgh Shoot me now! Williams, I had to betray my class and turn the crappy stuff into plant pots. And the cheesecloth shirt was an embarrassment. If it hadn't been for the refresh by Punk and the New Romantics I think I would have topped myself.

And I have to laugh at my prissy shock when faced with lyrics about looking at the peaches. Bless.

As for Peter *** Frampton! Give me a Tardis and a gun.

12. Dangerous Bauble

Most of the punks I knew were more pretentious than any progger could ever be.

13. tidal

tidal New commenter

I don't think girls were allowed youth culture back then
    Unless you count the Bay City Rollers as culture

14. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

oh I had forgotten all about Peter Frampton! I quite like him!

15. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Screeeem!!

Oh there's Alan and Eric

And Woody and Derek

And la la la la lovely Les [​IMG]

16. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

oh god!

I remember trying to have a conversation with a dishy Bay City Rollers fan. It was revelation. I learnt that having a nice **** was just no compensation for an empty head full of twee. Or is that tweed?

17. rachelpaula008

Ha ha, Lurk_much. I was about 10 at the time - therefore allowed to have a head full of twee. I wasn't allowed to get the tartan trousers, which is a blessing when I reflect on their hideousness ....

18. tidal

tidal New commenter

It went further than tartan trousers

I knew a girl with tartan inserts on her knickers and bra.......
    Not for long though

19. rachelpaula008

Sounds quite stylish to me, tidal. Tasteful.....

20. Dangerous Bauble

What about Donny....David C. ...David E...Marc ?

I used to love watching (perhaps love is too strong a word) The Rollers' TV show because the last item was always called "Derek's End Piece"...it made me snigger.