1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"You're stuttering now...." Proof of the success of the 1989 N C ?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by BigFrankEM, Nov 6, 2015.

1. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

In a confrontation with the British Ambassador in Egypt, a British citizens who from her age and demeanour will probably be a products of the world of the 1989 NC was seen to mark Ambassador Casson's card:

"So what's the problem?" she asked angrily followed fully 13 nanoseconds later [my video counter can indeed record that accurately] by the assertion "You're stuttering !"

Should we be proud of the fact that Bakerite innovations have reduced those inhibitions which we lower classes formerly felt when confronting members of the Establishment such as John Casson ESq CMG; who lists his recreatons as "walking, kayaking, baseball, poems (sic)" ?

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

She sounded like the sort of chav that throws stones at the windows of any disabled person who lives near where she does...

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I assume that her point was that she had the right to risk her life by flying out of Sharm...

4. BigFrankEM

I do not believe that the evidence available is sufficient to draw the conclusion stated.

I do however ask myself, given the willingness she showed to be filmed hectoring the ambassador verbally from the word go, making extremely aggressive hand gestures towards him as well as mouthing the vile calumnious comment "You're stuttering" long long long before her victim had been given time to open his mouth, quite how she would react were I to have the temerity to write on a school report for her son/ daughter that "I think s/he is slacking."

And even more to the point, how post the 1989 "Great Eduacation Reform Act," would the governors react to any complaint she would almost inevitably wish to make over my "unprofessional conduct" without a link to an on-line website where the exchange is available for scrutiny.

It is my bitter experience that post 1989, most English state school managers take accusations of the parent, no matter how vile and/ or calumnious, at face value notwithstanding other factors, such as in this non-teaching case, irrefutable technical evidence that only 9 nanoseconds had passed between the initial challenge and the vile jibe.

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Whilst your counter may be able to measure down to nanoseconds I believe you may be exaggerating a tiny bit.
    Whilst a little poetic license is good for emphasis, you might be taking it a little far

You are talking about 0.000000013sec and
    • most video plays at a mere 60fps
    • human reaction speeds are not capable of such a feat
    • you would not be able to discern a break between the first last syllable of the first sentence and the first of the second
    Of course you may just be joking and I am too new to get the joke and I will have to be dutifully embarrassed and apologetic

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

One moment he's a pain in the backside and the next he's a two-fingered salute. Whatever he calls himself, he leaves a trail of seaweed behind him.

[​IMG]

7. BigFrankEM

The lady in question would have made mince meat of you too, I strongly suspect.

No. I'm certain.

8. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I'm pretty sure that she would have.
    After all I'm not a diplomat (at all) and if one our finest was taken aback then there would be little hope for any lesser mortal.