1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You're not a member of a union but you strike/ don't work on 30th Nov - face disciplinary?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by madenglishgirl, Nov 8, 2011.

1. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

Yes, I would imagine she would be in a bit of trouble! Last time we were on strike here, the ones who had opted for stiking had a legitimate 'day off' and the rest of us had to come in as normal (no students though) and had departmental time etc. We had to sign in and sign out to prove that we had been in work, otherwise out pay would have been docked and we would have been (quite rightly) hauled in front of the HT.

2. I can't see the point in her stance but if she's determined then she should put into writing the fact that she intends to take industrial action...I'd quite like to see the outcome.
    Without a legitimate reason? Why shouldn't she face disciplinary action? (unlikely to be sacked as there are disciplinary procedures which must be adhered to)

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I find it hard to believe that a person with such strong convictions would not be part of a union!

4. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

If she does not turn up for work she is in breach of contract. This will almost certainly lead to disciplinary action. Union members are in breach of contract also BUT they have the protection afforded by Trade Union legislation covering strike action. Tell her to join a union pronto and stop mucking about!

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Dominie,do you know what the procedure is? Will we be asked by school if we are striking or do we just not turn up on the day? I would have thought the school would need to know in advance in order to plan if they are opening or not opening.

6. And when are SSTA ballots coming out?

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I know. Is there enough time to vote for action on the 30th?

8. Welll... I kind of can. I left the EIS after what happened (I was supply - I now have a temporary contract, lucky old me) I'd still like to strike, but because I'm not in a union, I won't. But I'd like to.

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Me too. Did you not join "the other one"? I really would not want to be without union representation.

10. Haven't got around to it yet (moving house etc etc)

Plus it's expensive! And a lot of good it did me last time. :(

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

50% off just now and cheaper for part-timers/supply/temporary staff

12. Oh right! Ok then. :)

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

They do seem to be cutting it very fine if they intend to participate on the 30th. How stupid would it be to miss what is essentially a national strike? It's not like it's been a secret that the EIS was ballotting - we seemed to have a inordinately long time between the ballot opening and closing.

14. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

From the SSTA bulletin sent to members today ...

The ballot will be sent only to members believed to be employed in the state sector on either
    permanent or long term temporary contracts.
    The ballot will take place as soon as is possible. The ballot period will extend to only ten days.

The ballot will be a postal ballot with ballot papers being sent to members? home address.

We agree on this and on the SSTA (my union as you know) cutting it fine. However, SSTA Council, meeting in early October was not at that stage convinced that the UK government's negotiations represented a final position. This had changed by the time our representative reported on a further meeting of the UK working party. It's important that the public do not see us as using the strike weapon too readily and I am afraid that the EIS decision to do that so early comes into that category. You will probably disagree with that view but there we go ...

15. And monthly direct debit, I think...

16. Nothing much should be made of the EIS balloting early... apart that this is due to their association with the TUC/STUC and being compelled to ballot.

17. I'm joining SPTA but had difficulties setting up my standing order. Not sure what I'll do on the 30th as staffroom are v. anti crossing picket lines!

Also tricky for me is the fact that I'm applying for jobs at the moment -will this stand against me?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Then they should listen to their own union advice - when other unions are on strike we are advised to listen to members of the picket line then cross the line. Anti-union legislation means that we are advised not to refuse to cross the picket line.
    If you are not in a union which has advised you to take strike action you won't be on strike so I can't see that there will be a problem. If you mean that you're worried that crossing a picket line might have an adverse effect on job applications I don't think that's in the slightest bit likely.