1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your year of birth

Discussion in 'Personal' started by defenceagainstthedarkarts, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I love the way I'm remembering further back as I get older.

Lara mfl 05 and racroesus like this.
  2. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I notice that too, yet I cannot always remember what day it iso_O:rolleyes:

3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I was born in the year that began with the North Sea Flood, which was one of the most devastating natural disasters ever recorded in the United Kingdom.

The year got better as it progressed though. Everest was conquered, Ian Fleming published his first James Bond novel, the Queen was crowned, Churchill was knighted, England under Len Hutton won the Ashes for the first time in 19 years, the police discovered the bodies Christie had buried at 10 Rillington place, one of which Timothy Evans had been hanged for, they caught Christie and hanged him, the first roll-on, roll-off ferry service in the UK was started, and the Samaritans telephone counselling service was started.

EDIT: It always brings me a smile to see the confused look on bureaucrats faces when they ask my date of birth and I tell them it was the twenty eighth day of the tenth month in nineteen hundred and fifty three.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I wish i was young enough to do some sprunting.Alas I cannot do it any more.a sure sign of age,
    I am more a gongoozler these days.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

When I was young, we thought computers were one of many useful tools to help teach. When I grew old, it became a fact that computers and their data were far more important than teachers, students or education itself.

wordsworth and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I know what day it is. I just can't remember where I live! ;)

7. Duke of York

Many of you missed the best years.

nomad, lexus300 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Had no idea of some of those events in our birth year DoY!
    Re your Edit I once tried to input my details on computer for a job and the list didn't have anything earlier than 1960 and wouldn't let me input manually.:( Needless to say I didn't pursue the job application. :rolleyes:

9. Duke of York

I think it's so unfair that us old 'uns have to do so much scrolling down the list to find our year of birth. Youngsters are so much better at that. Let's have a campaign to have the list reversed.

But on that note, how far back do those lists go? Or in other words, are they inclusive for computer literate people over 100?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I know I recently had cause to scroll down something, either in connection with my m-i-l, and that list went back as far as 1920, the year of her birth. Might have been even earlier. but didn't notice as I'd finally scrolled down enough.:p

11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

An exciting new world awaits us:confused:

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

I've never been worried about my age (until recently...)
    Writing the year down is admitting to being not as young as I used to be (...becoming an oldie :eek: ;))
    So, I was born the year Cliff Richard released 'Living Doll' and the same year as @Jesmond12!

I am still very young at heart!

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  13. Duke of York

It's comforting to know that Einstein had the same problem, ain't it?

lexus300 and sabrinakat like this.
  14. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

I've been doing this a lot too. The trouble is, I am remembering all the times in my life that I have been unkind. I even considered trying to trace someone I went to junior school with, to apologise when i was unkind to her. I've now had to try to stop dwelling on the past so much. It brings back a lot of unsettling memories as well as good ones, I find.

peggylu and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Like the police song - born in the fifties
    (Ps yesterday bought NOW 96 on CD and Help by the Beatles on vinyl -guess which one I spent last night playing on my stereo?)

Jesmond12 likes this.
  16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When I was at school we heard tell that the boys' school in the next town had a computer but no hard evidence to back this up. When I worked in the offices at Honeywell in the 70s The Computer took up the entire 4th floor of the office block.

Norsemaid, Lara mfl 05 and wordsworth like this.
  17. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

Had to give this a bit of thought and slept on it!

1. When colleagues at school described me as 'mum of the school', 'our matriarch' was also mentioned!
    2. When the students referred to me in the same sentences as their grandmas (does that need an apostrophe or not?! :oops:
    3. Sitting in meetings and thinking I've done this before but it was called... and couldn't remember.
    4. The 'let me help you with that' become more frequent.

And that is just the start! :eek: There are others such as computer awareness, lack of mobile stickiness (to the hand I mean! Etc)

18. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Dear @oldsomeman

SPRUNTING!! At first, I thought this was a cross between sprinting and grunting, until I googled it and found the Urban Dictionary definition.
    Nooooo! Surely, you don't mean that!!!
    You like to think of yourself as a ladies' man, but that's going to extremes...

Aunty Dunty images.jpeg

19. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

And it was with great trepidation that I looked up 'gongoozling'!
    I discovered that it's someone who likes to "watch activities on the canals"

What SORT of activities?... 2017-02-18-17-59-31-900394408.jpeg

20. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I'm getting back to about eight. That's before all the trouble started. I can't wait to get to six. I'm hoping I can get below four.

I'm a bit wary of going back any further because there was a woman in our street who used to supposedly look after me. I've found out since she was a right vicious b.

I seem to remember fields in summer a lot.