1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your year of birth

Discussion in 'Personal' started by defenceagainstthedarkarts, Apr 7, 2017.

1. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

1958. When I look in the mirror, I'm reminded that I'm getting old. And when I worry about the future, I remember how old I am. But the rest of the time, I reckon I still think I'm in my thirties and feel somewhat hurt if others (very reasonably) treat me as older!

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Although to be honest, I don't think I've ever been patronised by a HCP. Not that I noticed, anyway.

TCSC47 likes this.
  3. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Definitely a LOL! and a "like".

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I'm ok then re Lollypop ladies round our way.

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Oh yes - the day someone stood up on the tube to let me sit down was a worrying moment. :( However, I graciously thanked her and sat down! (Just to encourage her, you understand!)

6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

A mean machine indeed! Have fun and keep a look out for all those car drivers that get in the way!

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  7. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

When children ask how old I am, I tell them.

They say 'oh ... you don't look it!'

I smile sweetly and say 'older or younger?' whilst tapping my detention slips :cool:

8. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

1971 . Only a a teenager last week ! Ho hum . Mind you wouldn't want to go through that lot again .
    Maybe my 30's ?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

A vintage year.

Dunteachin and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I will do my best:)

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As I have a Coronation mug, being born when I was I leave you to work it out.;)
    Fortunately I only have a few white hairs (somehow they don't seem to bother going grey, just go straight to white? o_O) and a shampoo-in colourant still manages to cover those.
    Mind you my late father still had a full head of brown hair when he died at 74.
    Though no blood relation my late m-i-l still didn't need to colour her hair at 96 and still looked mostly brunette, though there were some greys there.

coffeekid and (deleted member) like this.
  13. tackles

tackles Occasional commenter

Oh, you're so lucky! I noticed my first grey hair when I was 15 or 16. Around then I started coulouring my hair with semi-permanents, and when I progressed to more pronounced colours, permanents. I religiously topped up the colour at the first sign of root growth. In my late 30s I decided that years of colouring had taken their toll, and that I would go back to my natural colour. I was shocked to discover that my new natural colour (or lack thereof) was completely different from the last time I had seen it! :(

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Am i the oldest on her born 1946? I was sort of forced to retire from teaching last year as they didnt want to employ oldies......and still looking for work as i hate being labeled retired.I enjoy work

TCSC47 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I'm picking up my first pair of varifocals tomorrow. Now that is making me feel old. If I need to read something my arm is extended as far as it can go so that I can attempt to focus, which my class find hysterical. I also feel old when I talk about my childhood. Yesterday Child 1 was reading the window-cleaning spray which says "There's a time and a place for streaking!". He said "What is streaking?" I explained that in the 1970s, women and men often stripped off to run across a cricket or tennis match with no clothes on, and the look on his face told me he did not believe a word I was saying. They also don't believe me that we had power cuts all the time, and that we only had orange juice on Christmas Day, but there we go!

strawbs, TCSC47, oldsomeman and 3 others like this.
  16. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Definitely much younger in real life :)

I've lost some weight since we met but hope my students aren't lying when they think I'm ten years younger....

About to turn 50 but with a five-year-old (born at age 44 (!)), I feel old sometimes and young other times....

:eek:

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

1955 was a vintage year to be born in. My birth year too!!

InkyP and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

60 more school days left isn't it Jes?

Jesmond12 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

All the second best people; the best were born in 1950.

20. daisy1603

daisy1603 Occasional commenter

I feel old when my pupils stare at me blankly when I talk about Kelly Holmes double Olympic gold medals in Athens or when I realise that even the year 11s (who I don't feel much older than) were born in the 2000s.

I did however, get asked this week if I was home from uni for the holidays! Baby faced or should have gone to Specsavers?! :)

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.