1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your year of birth

Discussion in 'Personal' started by defenceagainstthedarkarts, Apr 7, 2017.

1. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

Mine is 1981.

It nonetheless comes as a shock to me when teachers born in the 90s casually, well, teach. They should still be at school themselves. Or playing with crayons and dolls.

Is this going to get worse as the years go on and I am confronted with teachers born in the 2000s (which, thinking about it, isn't that far off! :eek:)

What made you realise you were Old?

strawbs likes this.
  2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My daughter is a year older than you and I am gradually getting used to the idea that I might be becoming middle aged. ;)

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I was born in the 70s and I feel ancient reading your "I was born in 1981" comment. Actually, you're only a year older than my little sister, and I still think of her as a baby.

Anonymity, lizziescat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

You are both young whipper-snappers, 1948. A very good year indeed. Edit, you three

5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

My cousin's daughter was born in the 90s, and she's just started teaching. I don't care about how young she is, I just wish her general grammar, punctuation and spelling were better...

6. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

I wish that for everyone! Although a teacher I knew did once ask in all seriousness if Shakespeare wrote Titanic.' I mean, really!

Anonymity and coffeekid like this.
  7. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I was 24 when I realised I was old. It was 27th July 1994 and was at Schiphol Airport, looking at reflection of myself it loo mirror, when I thought I saw my first grey hair.

It's been enlightening.

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Son1 looks very distinguished with his grey hair and his brother is going bald. I am also growing out my blond hair and going grey for the first time in 20 years. Liking it actually. I was born in 1951.

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Daughter the first will be 30 next year!

10. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I feel older every day :(

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I've never felt fitter, healthier or younger! The girls are 27 and 28. The grandkids are fine. We have a nice house. I'm not the screwed-up misanthrope I was when I was younger. I have mellowed. I am so much happier!

12. slingshotsally

I found my first grey hair at 24 and was entirely grey by 33.

I attempted dyeing it, but became disenchanted with retouching the roots. Have been undyed since 37. I look like a granny with smoothest skin ever.

13. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Yay, I am the youngest here (so far) :)

Lara mfl 05 and coffeekid like this.
  14. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I was born at the end of the 70s but I don't feel old. I barely feel like an adult. I look around and wonder how other people my age manage to have their lives together when I constantly feel like I'm playing catch up from the last disaster.
    But, I must have decent genes because I've been told I look younger and apart from one stubborn frown line between my eyebrows, I don't have any wrinkles or grey hairs (or maybe I'm just too pudgy for my skin to wrinkle, who knows). Most people guess I'm around 30, which I see as a win and the last time I was asked for ID in a pub was when I was 35 (and incidentally, 7 years older than the nice young man serving me). I don't mind getting older, but the vain side of me is terrified of starting to look older.

strawbs, ValentinoRossi and coffeekid like this.
  15. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I was born in December 1953, 10 months exactly after my older sister. I've only started feeling my age this past couple of years. coinciding with ditching the hair dye!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

17. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

[​IMG]
    1947. A few months after that year's great winter freeze. Brrrr... And along the way I've not only outlived David Bowie but also survived prostate cancer surgery almost a dozen years ago.

Policeman have looked far too young for decades and I still have my ration book somewhere at home, if I can remember where I put it (one of my many senior moments).

The one trouble with getting older is that time now passes by much more quickly than it did in my childhood and teenage years. But I don't miss the peer pressure of that stage in my life. In retirement I've come to a point when I can enjoy being different and appreciate other people's diversity.

18. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I'm young
    Allegedly

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

1963 - and I realise that when the OP was born, I was doing A levels. That feels old.

20. slingshotsally

And always will be!

Didactylos4 likes this.