1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your worst fears...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lmnop, May 26, 2016.

1. lmnop

lmnop Occasional commenter

According to a Dorothy Rowe book I read years ago, everyone's deepest fears can be boiled down to 2 scenarios depending on whether you are an introvert or an extrovert. These fears are so strong that you fear you would cease to exist if they were to come about.

For an extrovert it is the fear of being all alone in an empty universe with no hope of ever meeting another living being again.

For an introvert it is a fear of loss of control over the outside world. If you suddenly lost control over every aspect of your life - where you lived, who you lived with, what job you had, what and when you ate, when you slept, when you had quiet time - if all this were to change on a daily basis, with no hope of it ever stopping, an introvert would feel they would almost literally explode.

Apparently secret service agencies around the world key into this when interrogating suspects - extroverts kept in solitary confinement whereas introverts made to feel utterly disorientated by eg someone interviewing them for an hour then coming back two minutes later acting as though this were the first time they had ever met them.

As an introvert I can relate to this - the disorientation techniques would be far worse for me than solitary confinement. How about you?

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Boris and The Donald, being all in charge.

lanokia, Sinnamon, delnon and 5 others like this.
  3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

The empty universe and the disorientation technique scenarios are quite extreme examples. I would find both equally terrifying in reality. But in my imagination I am somehow able to glamourise the desolation, and wander lonely as a cloud in the empty universe, whilst I can't find a way to do the same for the second scenario.

nick909 likes this.
  4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Yes. I think I agree with that. Think of the reading you could get done.

Dragonlady30 and peggylu like this.
  5. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

As an extrovert who can't bear the thought of not being in control of myself or my situation, I find both equally disturbing in different ways. Both would probably lead to a mental breakdown pretty quickly for me.

All my fears revolve around something happening to my children and not being able to do anything about it. It's the kind of thing I dream about when I'm really stressed or anxious and the images haunt me for days afterwards.

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Neither bothers me more than the other. It's amazing what you can and will adapt to as normal if that's all you experience.

7. lmnop

lmnop Occasional commenter

I suspect a real extrovert like, e.g. Chris Evans would almost embrace the chaotic scenario as long as there were people he could connect with, whereas he would find the idea of the empty universe utterly unbearable.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  8. CedricDaniels

CedricDaniels Established commenter

Clearly, there are a lot worst fears than in the OP

coffeekid likes this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Hell is other people. Said someone. Once.

I agree.

sabrinakat, lmnop and peggylu like this.
  10. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I don't fear either of those scenarios

My only real fear now is that I will lose control of my body/mind at some point

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

A prolonged and painful death. I don't fancy that at all.

12. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

That they'll tear down the wall.

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I find the thought of The Trump being more than a passing fart in the breeze quite worrying.

Dragonlady30 and bombaysapphire like this.
  14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I think my idea of Hell would be a cruise ship, so I suppose that makes me an introvert.

I imagine I could cope with solitary confinement for longer than most.

15. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I thought this was going to be about the snake that came up the toilet in Thailand and the poisonous spiders in Gateshead.

16. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Being forced back into teaching. :eek:

Unless the bunglers who've ruined it were all taken for a cruise half-way across the Atlantic.

17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

This is my worst fear. Of the two options in the OP I think the loss of control would be the worst.

18. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

They don't have much imagination do they?

19. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Worst fear - that something awful happens to my child. Pretty common fear for all parents, I'm sure.

InkyP and slingshotsally like this.
  20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Yes, and it doesn't stop when they grow up. They have children and there are just more people to worry about.

smoothnewt likes this.