1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your top ten old wives tales

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Nov 18, 2014.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Which have stood the test of time?

If I ate an apple a day, would it honestly keep the doctor away? Supposing one fell on the floor and I slipped **** over head on it and broke my neck? Would the doctor never need to call?

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

A large group of apple eaters would (I think) statistically receive less visits than a similar group of non apple eaters.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

That is what the core statistics would show.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My nan always told me that eating my crusts would make my hair curl. It didn't!

5. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Wearing a crash helmet makes you go bald. (Might be some truth in that, though.)

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Watching telly would give me square eyes. As a young kid I actually used to go and check in the mirror from time to time. B*stards.

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You had a television! Posh git!

8. oeufsmiroir

oeufsmiroir New commenter

Those that ask don't get: those that don't ask don't want. As my Grandma said to me.

This was well before the welfare state arrived at her door.

9. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Yellow-headed spots had maggots in them.

10. Sitting on a stone step gives you haemorrhoids. Leaning against a radiator gives you heamorrhoids. Warming your hands or feet by the fire gives you chilblains. It is essential for good health to take a laxative once a week for a good clearout.

This is the toss I was made to live by my grandmother, who was old and a wife.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

One of my grandmother's comments (made with all seriousness) was"If you fall over and break both your legs, don't come running to me!"

Another one, whenever any of us was too ill to get up, was "No one ever made any money lying flat on their back in bed!" That one always had my father snorting into his tea.

12. tidal

tidal New commenter

Contrary to all the warnings from old wives (and old blokes) not being careful with some of my toys did not result in me "having someone's eye out"

I actually suspect that being careful would have been more successful

13. oeufsmiroir

oeufsmiroir New commenter

Oh for goodness sake Tidal!

14. tidal

tidal New commenter

*chuckles*

15. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

Things like drinking warm milk to get a good nights sleep.

In my experience, doing anything that makes you anxious about whether you fall asleep has the opposite effect.

16. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

The best things come to those that wait.

Not flippin' necesarily!

17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My mother told me that if I plucked my eyebrows ten hairs would grow in place of each one. So why don't bald men pluck out all their remaining hair?

18. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Have you seen Guy Martin on the telly?

19. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Ask her who wrote those Belle du Jour books.

20. NarnianRoyalty

NarnianRoyalty Occasional commenter

If I was sulking or pulling faces my Grandma would say that if the wind changed, it would stay like that.

Looking at how I've aged, I think it might have at some point.