1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your top piece of advice for new SLT

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by biolgirl, May 28, 2019.

1. biolgirl

biolgirl New commenter

To you experienced SLT out there, what piece of advice would you have most valued when you first made the step up from middle management?

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

This may sound negative but it's not supposed to be - you just need to have it at the front of your mind constantly.

You're not "one of them" any more; you're one of the leaders.
    Get rid of everyone in school from social media (explain why so you don't seem like you think you're better than them).
    No matter what the staff say, you listen, be positive and back up what the head says.
    It's a great role but remember that it's very different from class teacher.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Be kind, be supportive. Don't tell, ask. Always, but always, say thank you. Handwritten notes are valued more than emails. If you get it wrong, own up, and then put it right. Ask others for opinions, advice, experience (and the newest NQT just might know what the oldest codger in the staffroom doesn't - although the opposite is more likely). Remember collectve responsibiity and work as an SLT, and staff, team.

4. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

There’s a few important tips to remember when you step up into SLT- some that have been covered already:

- You’re now a senior leader- Don’t try and make ‘friends’ with all the staff- now I’m not saying isolate yourself, but be friendly/courteous but that’s it. You won’t be effective when giving an instruction or disciplining them in the future if necessary- if you have staff outside of SLT on Facebook or other social media, then remove them and explain why and don’t be surprised if someone removes you- it’s not personal.

- Role- Model- Staff, students, parents, governors and visitors will be looking to you as a member of SLT- you’ve got to act as a role model at all times.

- Be prepared to step up to HT- I’m assuming you are an AHT? There might be times when the Headteacher and Deputy Headteacher need to attend a meeting offsite- it is your responsibility to manage the school in their absence- this is usually rare but it does happen, and you need to be prepared for any situation. In my school SLT structure, we have myself (HT), 1 DHT and 2 AHTs- and in the past, myself and my deputies have had to attend meetings so the AHTs are then responsible- it’s seen as a good career development opportunity.