1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

your thougths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by flower16, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Thanks for the reply, as i was writing in a hurry, capital letters did not matter as long as it was understandable.

2. A statement like that is like throwing a handgrenade at TES!

3. Rectangle is fine for Reception. If you look in the Nat Strategies maths vocab booklet, oblong is not mentioned until Year 5.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Which is when they all pipe up but when we were in reception miss said they were rectangles ...

5. Well said Regencyrob!

6. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Oh why not just teach it correctly from the beginning or not teach it at all. They're irritating all these things where the definitions change throughout primary school, and then again beyond. Also that business of a cone and sphere having 1 curved face ........ horrid, and a circle having 1 curved side ....... horrid.

7. You can't win either way. When I was on Y5 teaching practice a few years ago I got pulled up for telling my class that a square was a special rectangle! But I agree why wait 5 years to tell them that actually it's an oblong ha ha!

8. Mixed views, i think i will stick to teaching children in reception that its a rectangle, much easier for them to understand.

9. Ah so use quotient and product etc from age 4 dont both with times and share?

10. Nielle

Nielle New commenter

And yet, I was told by a secondary maths teacher not to tell my old y5/6 class that a 'rectangle' was an oblong, as they didn't at that secondary school! It seems we just can't win in Primary!

11. My old maths tutor on PGCE had a real bee in her bonnet about this sort of thing. An oblong, is a specific kind of rectangle (as has been pointed out many times in the thread). I teachYear 5, and often find it frustrating when the children refuse to actually believe the shape is called an oblong - insisting it is just a rectangle!
    My daughter (Y2) has only been taught this shape as a rectangle at her school, although she knows (via me!) that it is only one type of rectangle. I don't really understand why it's not just called an oblong from Reception?

12. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Zzzzzzzzzz...........................