1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts, please.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by GeorgeFriendly, May 26, 2011.

1. I think it is important to find out the source of this information and how accurate it is.
    Possibly they are blaming you for someone else's mistake because you are no longer there. If you are still using the school for reference purposes or working within the same LA, it may be worth following it up.

2. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

The sources are completely reliable.
    I suddenly didn't get 2 jobs I'd been invited to apply for soon after. In one case, terms and time of starting work had been discussed in detail.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

So where are you working now?

4. Unless there is a real need, I don't think there is much to gain from anything formal. Can you even be sure that the report is accurate ?

5. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

How is that relevant?
    I repeat that the reports are reliable and accurate.

6. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

4 sources - all independent of one another. I took care to corroborate after hearing the initial report.

7. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

Yes - it's not just me.

8. Greatest empathy Gruoch. It's one thing being blamed after you've left for losing the keys to the store cupboard. This is quite another.
    I experienced this in the last two years - got word back (not in writing) that I was believed to have destroyed essential information at a former place of work. While I suspect the source, I have not been able to pinpoint the origin in writing and with witnesses. I have made it crystal clear that if I ever find anyone prepared to repeat it, I will sue them regardless. I have set this information afloat in the exact same rumour-mill.
    Now I haven't suddenly find them rushing to me with offers of work - but the blather seems not to be repeated on my radar. I think this is the best I can hope for. Sometimes it's worth getting a reputation as a vindictive so-n-so. You might try similar, citing the useful no win, no fee offer you had from a national litigation law-firm. Lies all lies, but.....
    If it's still a warm issue with the 'lost' jobs - might be worth contacting the lead person involved and explaining that you have been slandered. Might also be worth putting this in writing to your old head with screen shots of the coursework and asking point blank if it is considered the truth by her/him that you did this misdeed. The least you could hope for is a signed letter saying you fulfilled your tasks properly.
    Is the issue still of any real relevance, beyond being ****** infuriating? If you are looking for work in the same 'pond' then it is. However the march of time and your own progress makes it ever less likely that employers are looking beyond the last coupla years. So it might be worth letting it go, but only you know whether this can be done just yet.
    Lastly, if the you know the perpetrator it's tempting to work out a situation where you could confront them and watch them squirm.....but then you might get done for harrassment.