1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts on the Internet of things

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jul 27, 2016.

1. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I know what you mean but the point is it is two way. The camera has a lot of functionality. It moves and you can control the movement remotely. It has a microphone and you can switch that on and off. It has a speaker and you can talk through that and it has movement detection that sends you email alerts. (plus other stuff)

All this requires a server connection which means a h*le in your security. The same thing goes for all other stuff that connects to the internet in this way. Routers are equipped for this with DMZ capability but I am not fully convinced this is enough.

Anyway I am at stage 1, finding the right junk box to retrieve the old router and its power pack.;)

This may take some time.(edited)

colpee likes this.
  2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I have at least 5 routers scattered amongst my multiple boxes of "bit's that may come in useful someday".
    It's a habit that I can't kick :oops::oops:

3. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

OK managed to get the thing up and running. The only thing I actually needed to do was switch the secure router from ADSL to WAN and remove the need for login. The insecure router was the one supplied by by existing ISP so had all the settings still in.

Connected up the camera and used the game sharing setting and am now able to point to the web address given by the camera and get the picture. I can move the camera about but can't, as yet use the microphone and speaker. Still, it's a start.

The insecure router actually syncs at a slightly higher speed than the secure one which is a higher price model. The download speeds are very similar and viewing an HD streamed movie is still possible.

I spent a fair while on TELNET but, it seems, I didn't need to bother.o_O

4. Didactylos4

Have you disabled SSID as well ?
    Or are you using it like a network switch?

5. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I am with Plusnet so the Thomson is the I got from them. I have just reset it to factory default and it is connect to the ADSL. The WiFi and ethernet ports are all enabled.

The other router is a Netgear which I bought because I was having real problems with connection speed before Xmas. (Below 2Mb/s) I got the Netgear because reviews suggested Netgears maintained a good connection.

I thought I was going to have many more problems than I actually did. In the end connecting up and getting it to work was simple. The Thomson is connected to the phone line as an ADSL modem. The Netgear is connected via its WAN connector to one of the ethernet ports on the Thomson. The settings for the Netgear is simply connect to internet via the WAN and lose the login requirement.

After wading through and getting thoroughly confused by the Chinglish instruction book for the IP camera I just hooked it up to an ethernet port on the Thomson and used the game sharing settings on the Thomson to set it as an HTTP server. The camera has a URL on the base which links to a DDNS service and putting that in a browser brings up the camera's web page with the address bar in the browser showing my public IP address. Much , much simpler than I thought.

The plus is that my connection speed seems to have increased from just over 6Mb/s to just over 7Mb/s giving a significant increase in download speed all for the cost of 2mS extra ping. Given that I am 3.5km away from an ordinary ADSL exchange (max 8Mb/s) this is not bad going.

So all in all it's a case of all's well that ends well.:)

6. Didactylos4

Got it
    I thought you had it rigged to wifi. :oops:

Should protect it with reasonable security.
    That solves the camera but, as it stands, restricts what other IoT devices you can use

7. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

The camera has WiFi but it's easier to use the ethernet. I will probably get around to that in due course.

In general, I should be able to hook whatever I want to the Thompson and the rest of the network behind the Netgear is secure regardless.

Something with one of my Raspberry Pi Zeros maybe.;)