1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts on the Internet of things

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

There's an article on the BBC website regarding security flaws in Internet connected light bulbs. Apparently it's possible to hack into these to gain access to the network passwords.
    [​IMG]

Osram's Lightify range features internet-connected light bulbs that can be controlled using a smartphone app. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why anyone would be desperate enough to feel the need to.

The Internet of things is said to be what we've all been waiting for, but is it? Will devices like these change our lives or are they just being done because they can be done?

Might we not be better off if the skills being used to design Internet-controlled light bulbs and the like were put to something genuinely useful instead?

colpee, Shedman, nomad and 1 other person like this.
  2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Would genuinely useful things make as much profit as this fatuous product? If not they won't get made.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

It appears to be Osram's Smartphone app rather than the light bulbs themselves.

4. Duke of York

Would it not be simple enough to get in touch with Amazon to ask if they can have one of their delivery drones bump into the light switch?

5. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

I think they are doing this as a work around to produce a "smart" house- i.e where everything is connected. Perhaps we do not need them in our lives but the same thing could be said about any advancement in technology. People used to laugh at cars when they first came out because they were louder and slower than horses. IBM, despite being the largest computer manufacturer in the 70s lost out because it thought that only big businesses would have need of a computer.

My brother built his own house recently and he did the whole "smart" shebang. It is amazing on so many levels. His gps senses when he is heading home and tells the heating to start so the house is warm when he gets there, lighting tv and sound is connected to a central database so no cds/dvds etc. each screen and speaker in the house can play anything off his system and be controlled by a pc/phone/table/in built wall system. He can even control his coffee machine from out of the house so that it will make a coffee for him without him being there/ at a certain time in the morning. By far the coolest thing though is the led lights system- sensors pick up when some one is in the corridor at night and light up in a 2 metre radius around them (they are recessed under the skirting) in green so as not to mess your night vision! Is it over the top? yes? Could we get by without it? probably yes. but who cares when it is that cool! haha

On a side note, I would be a bit more worried about some of the more outlandish claims about the furthest reaches of internet of things. For instance, one talk I watched recently claimed that by using biometric data from watches or fitbits, they could anticipate a persons mode and then program other appliaces to react accordingly. For instance, if you have an elevated heart rate due to stress then your car would select soothing music from your playlist and when you got home your lights would be in a cooling colour. I would be a bit worried about all of that information being tracked but currently google knows enough about you to predict your voting/spending/travelling with incredible accuracy and the american army knows where you are at every second of the day thanks to GPS so maybe that ship has sailed.

6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

But are REALLY easy to spoof....;)

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

My son had a tropical marine fishtank when he lived at home, it had some very fancy stupidly expensive lighting system that he could control with his phone, emulating the light at various parts of the world at the appropriate time of the day, it could simulate the colours of sunrise/set and he could even programme a lightning storm. As it was fairly close to my desk this was quite distracting and I remember emailing him at work once to stop it pretending to have a lightning storm in the afternoon.

There's far too much technology for technology's sake already.

stupot101 likes this.
  8. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

I've often used the sarcastic question 'will it make tea or coffee for me? about any new technological gizmo. Having read @cellerdore's post it appears that it can:D:)

However, I think I value my privacy a bit too much;)

colpee and cellerdore like this.
  9. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Just been searching for some old nostalgic comedies, and came across this

I bet the 'smart house' wont be insured against people like this

I don't remember ever seeing this episode
    :D:D:)

10. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

I think you - or some other human being - must pre-load the machine. The Intertwit merely switches it on.

11. Duke of York

I see that pets have been left starving after Petnet's server had problems. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36912992

Petnet allows owners to schedule and control feeding via a smartphone app.

[​IMG]

What madness are we heading towards?

12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I can imagine a big market for a smart phone app that connects to a device to allow you to control when it scratches your rrse.

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Pets need human company, not servers.

14. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

I installed Windows 10 here a week or so ago.
    My PC here is at least four years old, but everything works.
    I really do not like Quick Access, One Drive, Edge, Life at a Glance, the Photo app... it's all really overcomplicated and, I suppose, intended to slip Microsoft's tendrils further into our lives.

But it's still possible to use the pc properly.

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Anyway, Mazda lamps stay brighter longer, always ask for Mazda.

16. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I'm just looking at using an IP camera I got off Ebay for £19.99. You get a lot of functionality for your money and it runs off a free app.

Problem, of course, with all of these things is to operate them remotely you need effectively to put a big hole in your defensive firewall. Now I know that you sort this by using a DMZ and pointing it at the device, but I am still nervous.

At the moment, I am looking at the possibility of using two routers. One to provide the DMZ and the other to provide an inner secure system. Will let you know how this goes.

17. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

It would at least double your defences by providing a sacrificial outer layer to give you a grace period to halt any intrusion

Please do. I'd be very interested

irs1054 likes this.
  18. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Thanks, I will. I have a spare router so I can have a quick setup to see if it works in principle. Of course the model (Thomson TG585) doesn't have DMZ as part of its GUI so I have to telnet into it to program it. Then there will be whether it will connect with as high a speed as my current one, etc, etc.

Anyway we will see.

19. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Books are making a big comeback, apparently....

20. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Is it possible to feed the camera upload to to a cloud server and stream it from there rather than direct (a bit like uploading your own music to a server)? And would that then remove the issue of hacking direct into your router or network?

Or am I completely off track?