1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts most welcome

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Amitielle, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Our school has always achieved high standards nationally and has a wonderful staff, until an aggressive ego recently arrived (on smt). We're now having the heart ripped out of us, moral is non-existant and staff are naturally leaving (just felt I needed to explain some of the background).
    One of the many casualities is our mfl department - our hours have been cut to 2 this year and we are being made to teach secondary in mixed ability tutor groups of 33. We are finding the situation unworkable and have exhausted every avenue to try to resolve things, but we have no chance.
    I've never posted before, so I apologise if my thoughts seem muddled, but I just needed to ask if this is common place in language teaching and how people cope? I've taught for almost 20 years now, (here and abroad) and have taught ks2 in m/a tutor groups, but never ks3 and above!
    Thanks for listening :)

2. Our school has always achieved high standards nationally and has a wonderful staff, until an aggressive ego recently arrived (on smt). We're now having the heart ripped out of us, moral is non-existant and staff are naturally leaving (just felt I needed to explain some of the background).
    One of the many casualities is our mfl department - our hours have been cut to 2 this year and we are being made to teach secondary in mixed ability tutor groups of 33. We are finding the situation unworkable and have exhausted every avenue to try to resolve things, but we have no chance.
    I've never posted before, so I apologise if my thoughts seem muddled, but I just needed to ask if this is common place in language teaching and how people cope? I've taught for almost 20 years now, (here and abroad) and have taught ks2 in m/a tutor groups, but never ks3 and above!
    Thanks for listening :)

3. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

Sorry you're going through a difficult time - can't really advise.

4. I imagine s/he is trying to impose authority from the outset. A sign of insecurity.
    I always have much more respect for those members of new management who come in and do nothing but observe for a little while until they have an overview of the status quo. Their subsequent decisions then tend to be more measured - and more correct of course.
    I wish you good luck in finding a way through this problem.

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

What about the other members of the smt? How are they reacting to the newcomer? Mixed ability classes of 33 are impossible.