1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your tales of survival during the biscuit shortage

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I didn't know it before today, but apparently the Cumbria flooding has had a serious impact on biscuit production. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-35696027

"Britain has been experiencing a severe shortage of biscuits - an unforeseen and yet, for some, very serious impact of the recent Cumbria floods. How have we coped?

Storms Desmond and Eva left swathes of Cumbria, Lancashire and Yorkshire under water, causing widespread personal pain and huge economic cost.

They also submerged Carlisle's McVitie's factory ovens, halting production of custard creams, bourbons, ginger nuts and table water biscuits.

Biscuits started disappearing from shop shelves. A nation which had looked on in sympathetic disbelief began to feel the crisis bite closer to home.
    "

Being someone who doesn't often buys biscuits, this disaster hasn't affected me, but I do know there are folk out there who rely on biscuits to see them through the day. Has it been tough out there?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

upload_2016-3-6_19-6-57.png

Ya wanna know about biskwits? Who's askin', punk?! :mad:

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

No shortage of biscuits chez frank...:D

4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I like the occasional ginger nut but wouldn't give you tuppence for a custard cream, a bourbon or a water biscuit so I can't say this alleged dearth has affected me. In any case the shelves at Sainsbury's are groaning with biscuits should anyone want any.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There's a whole aisle devoted to biscuits at chAvSDA

Hate nobnobs, you spend a week picking bits out of your teeth afterwards.

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

They choke me. The coarse husk bits get stuck in my throat. They are an abomination.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And I thought the rest of the staff room were being a bit parsimonious.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We had a teacher once who I swear could eat biscuits without either chewing or swallowing them. He ate an entire packet of digestives in about ten minutes once.

9. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

They make hobnobs from the old sawdust at the bottom of mouse cages.

Thomiam, Lascarina and grumpydogwoman like this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

They include the mice as well.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Me too @Lascarina, but it's the shelves of Lidl I've noticed still stocked. I like chocolate gingers and chocolate digestives and I found some very acceptable chocolate coconut macaroons yesterday. Definitely a theme emerging.

12. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

They used to be known as Carrs of Carlisle before they got taken over.

13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Five or six years ago, in a previous flood, the production of Trebor Soft Mints was halted for some time - due to the factory having flooded. This caused me quite a few problems as my severely disabled mother relied on them to get through the day (sucking them as she watched TV, as being totally immobile, that was the extent of the quality of life she had).

All the supermarkets had run out of the three-pack versions, and I had to resort to scouring the area for newsagents and corner shops who might still have the odd packet on their sweet racks.

14. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

our staff room doesn't seem to have borne any brunts.
    our crisis came when the lady who does all the refreshment shopping and keeps stuff in her locker was off for two weeks.

15. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

No shortage of biscuits at my local Bumhole Bargains.

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I just switch to chocolate ones..but I am partial to digestives and all sorts of toppings... if i put ginger biscuits int he tin here they vanish very quick.can only blame my son or me....my wife prefers a cream doughnut lol

17. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

It's surely an advertising gimmick to get people to panic buy nauseating custard cream biscuits. There have been numerous bogus news stories associated with named brands which were just PR stunts.
    in.years to come, will we hear folk songs about The Waggon Wheel famine of 2016 which led to the total depopulation of the North West. It was hell man! I can't tell you what I saw. I was there, man. My God, my God. People were eating own brand chocolate fingers. I saw women sell their bodies for a jammy dodger.

Thomiam, cissy3 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  18. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

No sign of a shortage down under! I'll take orders post them over!

For a fee of course. Got to do something to boost the holiday fund now I'm retired!

19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Great.

First a famine.

Now we have @ScotSEN forging a new career in the exploitation of the stricken and becoming a filthy biscuit-magnate. Some people'd do anything to make a buck! :mad: ;););)

ScotSEN likes this.
  20. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Chocolate and cream biscuits poised ready for Book Group this pm.

ScotSEN likes this.