1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your staff is your biggest resource (and most precious!)

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by karlo1981, Sep 28, 2015.

1. karlo1981

karlo1981 New commenter

Dear all,

Having a break from writing the self-evaluation.....

Upon reading a lot of threads - there is a general feeling of unhappiness; The teaching staff being unhappy with the SLT (and vice versa), a class divide between support staff and teaching staff. There is an endless list of these areas of conflict. In a world where we are constantly being politically bashed, it saddens me to my very soul that such unhappiness is actually being created by US. By people in our profession basically being very unkind to one another.

When I first started looking for senior leadership posts, I asked a very wise man for some advice. His name was John and he was a retired head. Sadly, he is no longer with us, but his words of wisdom are his legacy. I asked him one day what his secret was for running a very happy and successful school (and it really was!) He said to never forget to treat the staff with kindness and love, because it is they who pay-it-forward to the children. Look after them. Now that I am a Head myself, I hang on to those words so tightly. I hear and read about other heads who seem to have had personality transplants when they get the big office and their engraved plaque to go on the door - developing a cold ruthlessness that Miranda from 'The Devil Wears Prada' would be proud of. The words, 'we're doing this for the children' are one heck of an alibi for treating people badly. I understand now more than ever that there is a different set of pressures when one becomes a Head and, quite correctly, professionals need to be held to account for their work - but what we do with those pressures and how we conduct ourselves as leaders is what makes the difference. Even though I will make many many mistakes in the years to come, I hope that those wise words from John will always resonate with me and guide the way I run my school, so that when I am asked, "Are you a good man?" I will be confident in delivering the answer.

Best wishes.
    KB.

bompu, guinnesspuss, bob79 and 5 others like this.
  2. veneris

veneris New commenter

Seconded wholeheartedly!

3. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@karlo1981 any chance you can re-post this on Workplace Dilemmas?

oceanroc7 likes this.
  4. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Well said! I have just moved to a school where the above philosophy is lived out daily and the difference in staff morale, good will and enthusiasm for their job and their children seems almost surreal compared to the increasingly corporate school I left. Moreover, they are willing to take responsibility because they know they will be supported if they have acted reasonably with good intent. The difference in the children is still blowing me away. Week 5 and I have not yet seen anything like the things I used to see on a daily basis before. My only worry is that someone will wake me up shortly and tell me it really is only a dream!

karlo1981 likes this.
  5. karlo1981

karlo1981 New commenter

This is wonderful to hear, breadmaker. Your school sounds very much like mine. A very special place to be protected. Don't worry - it's not a dream. There are more of us out there.

6. bubblegirl83

bubblegirl83 New commenter

It is so good to hear this right now, mostly because my Head could really do with reading these words. I am about to move into SLT and I hope that I will have the humanity, and the memory of being 'just' a classroom teacher, to treat everyone with kindness and never allow my own egomania to allow otherwise. It's not rocket science, it's just being a good person.

guinnesspuss likes this.
  7. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

Employ me!

guinnesspuss likes this.
  8. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

Very wise words and you sound luvely. Yet all the Heads I've worked for in the last 30 years have been sneaky, controlling, manipulative ****s who would invariably be smarmy one minute then shaft you the next, and never trustworthy or at their word. I suspect many climb the greasy pole these days a) for the money and b) it lets them act out their personality for real with very little chance of any comeback.

9. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

Re-post on Workplace Dilemmas. You're preaching to the converted here. Not to me I'm afraid. I've learned to take everything said by SLT and above with a VERY large pinch of salt.