1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your Song - help I am not a guitarist!!!

Discussion in 'Music' started by asdmumandteacher, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Your Song Elton John....I am doing a class arrangement on Sibelius for my year 10 class..I have pianists/flautists/saxophonists/oboists/clarinettist/vocalists BUT they instrument I fear is the one I can't play!! Guitar!!! please help!! I have about 6 guitarists in the class (27 in one class!) Is the key of E flat ok for guitarists or is it really difficult? Its in E flat at the mo and thats great for the wind players (particularly the saxes and claris but have good oboists and flautists too). Just wondering about the guitarists - is there a more guitar friendly key (they are all about grade 1/2/3) I could transpose it all to?

Thank you all lovely music colleagues :)

2. Your Song Elton John....I am doing a class arrangement on Sibelius for my year 10 class..I have pianists/flautists/saxophonists/oboists/clarinettist/vocalists BUT they instrument I fear is the one I can't play!! Guitar!!! please help!! I have about 6 guitarists in the class (27 in one class!) Is the key of E flat ok for guitarists or is it really difficult? Its in E flat at the mo and thats great for the wind players (particularly the saxes and claris but have good oboists and flautists too). Just wondering about the guitarists - is there a more guitar friendly key (they are all about grade 1/2/3) I could transpose it all to?

Thank you all lovely music colleagues :)

3. v12

v12

Eb wouldn't be very nice for guitarists.
    F major might be a good compromise for every one - G maj for the Bb instruments, D major for the Eb instruments and if the guitarists find the barre tricky - a tiny bit of scordiatura is easy to put the strings up a semitone (they would then play in E major).
    Perhaps.

4. Thanks V12 - the only prob with going to F is that the singers (all female) would then go up a pitch and its all going to be a little bit high I fear...how about if I transpose it down a minor third to C (from the E flat) - hopefully that would be ok for the guitarists (not really worried about the saxes they can take care of themselves quite well)

Cheers :)

5. One possible solution may be asking the guitarists to tune half a step up.

6. Capo?

7. v12

v12

Oo, yes please. No sugar and just a splinkling of chocolocolate on mine!

8. nikkib_1986

nikkib_1986 New commenter

V12 your post actually made me laugh out loud! [​IMG]

9. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

10. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference Occasional commenter

If your transposing instrumentalists can cope with a few accidentals, how about writing it in E (great for guitar)?