1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your signature!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I was just browsing on another forum and found this information about 'signatures'.

'the signature feature is not available to all members. Some signatures were given out during the beta testing stage. This will be given to members who have contributed to the Community by helping others or for their good and long-standing reputation on the forums.' quote TES Rosaline

I had no idea this astounding feature existed and have certainly never seen anyone signing their signature. It makes me giggle to even think about it. So where may I see a 'signature'. Are they written in the poster's own handwriting writing so we can get a graphologist to read their character?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not entirely sure what you're referencing here Lascarina.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Some posters have a phrase or motto beneath every post. This is their signature I believe. I think I would get tired of such a phrase so haven't used one although I seem to think I had the option at one stage

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

The 'beta testing phase'? *** is that?? And when did/does it happen? My beta's been a bit mopey lately, so maybe testing would be good.

Lascarina likes this.
  5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Could you point me towards one of these phrases, lindenlea, so I may get some idea of what they are?

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Here's an example below my reply- in blue I think? (I was part of the second testing of the beta site so had an opportunity.)

There is, I think?, an option to see posts without signatures displayed, to save on screen space.

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

That's it. The quote from Hamlet. Known as a signature.

I don't have that option. I am not a favoured one.

9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Thanks, Lara. Could you please tell me why you like having that 'signature'? I want to understand what benefit it brings and why it should be deemed a reward for good people. I am not being a wind up. I am genuinely curious.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh, hadn't really registered those bits of people's posts. So erm... what's the point of them?

11. grumpydogwoman

Well, it's like your avatar. Remember cyolba's bo obs?

12. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Gosh, do you mean it's that bit about Dracula below your posts? What is the point of that?

13. grumpydogwoman

If you can be bothered to select an avatar then you might enjoy the opportunity to have a signature. I would.

14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

But an avatar is useful in that you can quickly recognise where a poster is. I can see no use for a 'signature'. What would you have as yours, gdw? I'd refuse one. Not that I'd ever be offered one because I'm not nearly good enough. *Lascarina sighs*

smoothnewt likes this.
  15. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Lascarina, I must admit I wondered at first what 'purpose' it might serve, but as we were offered the option and quite a few people did choose one, I spent some time thinking about a possible one which might 'sum me up in one phrase'- just like one's avatar.
    I've always loved that particular quote, since schooldays and have tried to live my life by following it. I'd like to think it might be helpful to others too. (Can you tell I did that Meyer-Briggs 16 personality quiz yesterday?;))

gdw-I do think it's rather unfair that as you are such a Prominent contributor that you haven't been offered one though.

16. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

It all becomes clear now.

17. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Why all the points, likes, trophies, contributor status and signatures (but only for the well-thought-of ,which, since I don't have the option, I'm obviously not!). How divisive! We're all equals, for God's sake. I'm not bothered that I've got nearly 200 likes.:rolleyes:

And stop strutting like a peacock, Vince Ulam. You should be on the naughty step for that expletive-laden ( but hilarious) Downfall. :D
    Where's it gone, btw?

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  18. grumpydogwoman

19. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Some sock-mook thought that likening me to Christopher Lee was an insult. Now each time they see my posts they remember our conversation and taste gall.

I've just updated with the full quote because it amuses me.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  20. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Not to me it doesn't. I was able to see Yfels red signature when he had one and I can see SabrinaCat's . . . I can't see the signatures of any poster on this thread (Vince, Lara)

harsh-but-fair likes this.