1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your self, your soul, is merely a story you tell yourself

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

There is no reason to suspect that our brains interpret the world in significantly different ways. The fact that we can construct models and effectively communicate and share concepts of physical attributes is a validation of the same shared reality.

2. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Interpretation is a cognitive thing. Qualia are purely subjective experiences.

3. Nanook_rubs_it

So the question for me is, how do we come to an agreement on the nature and existence of qualia? Are they of any importance in themselves except how they inform an individual's actions?

kibosh likes this.
  4. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I think they are not important outside of personal experience except as markers for the fact everyone is locked in to their own subjective experience of consciousness,

5. Nanook_rubs_it

So it can't even prove it's own existence, let alone be used to examine 'truth'?

That's where I feel the realm of 'faith' is firmly seated.

kibosh likes this.
  6. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Consciousness is a Great Mystery, you agree, surely?

7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Not really given the amount of research into both human (and other animal) sentience.
    It's not entirely definitive but the basics are fairly well understood

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Experiments done with chimpanzees have demonstrated that they too have a sense of self-identity. Much as a child eventually recognises that the image in a mirror is a reflection of itself, so will a chimp.

9. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

And they are...? You are not intrigued by your own consciousness then?

There is some tentative knowledge regarding consciousness and one of them is that it can exist at varying intensities. Thus we have animal consciousness, chimp self-awareness, sleeping, self-consciousness and so forth

10. Didactylos4

Not really
    I was when I was much much younger but, strangely triggered by a interest in the possibility of consciousness in computers, I read up on the research at the time and have followed it (albeit slowly and with much reference to dictionaries and lists of scientific terminology) ever since.
    I'm not sure that I am qualified to answer your other question in any detail but there are plenty of interesting papers on the subject available through a search engine.

It can become a bit of an obsession though

11. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I think you are completely wrong to suggest that consciousness is not one of the Big Mysteries.

12. Didactylos4

You are, of course, entitled to believe what you will Eury

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

My boy would interact with the colour world of his perception as shown by his actions and compared with the actions of his classmates according to their perceptions of the colour world.

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

We would also look at how our perception was affected by the environment and how, even for the colour blind, under the right conditions colours were perceived in the same way by all.

15. Nanook_rubs_it

What part of consciousness is a 'Great Mystery' ? What suggests the parts that aren't known are mysterious?

16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I wonder if a child was ever taught by its parents that red is blue and yellow is green, just to see how long it would take for him to realise that education has its limitations, no matter what teachers try to tell us.

17. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

The dictionary.

18. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

The bit where rocks and such like evolve to become entities with self awareness.

19. Nanook_rubs_it

What part of consciousness is a'Great Mystery'?

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Correct, I did say how the colour was perceived.