1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your self, your soul, is merely a story you tell yourself

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

What was left out of the New Testament might be more revealing. The scraps of paper recovered from Oxyrhynchus by Grenfell and Hunt, over a century ago, reveal a different Jesus from that described in the bible. Among those scraps is a record of Jesus saying "The kingdom of the father is spread out upon the earth and men do not see it."

In other words, Jesus was saying: Don't waste your time hoping to end up in Heaven. Six foot under is as far as you'll be going.

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I would have put that as 'There is much in the world that we don't understand or empathise with that also deserves our good work.' since there is a lot that doesn't.

3. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

Hands off my cherries!

kibosh and cuteinpuce like this.
  4. Duke of York

If you put them somewhere high up, they ought to be safe enough, since cuteinpuce would need to hire a cherry picker to reach them.

Mind you, you'd need a cherry placer to get the height yourself.

5. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

"Your self, your soul, is merely a story you tell yourself"

It is indeed. Or in my case, it was. Now I am a super human!

6. Duke of York

I don't doubt you are if you believe that, Eureka. Confidence in yourself is 99% of the battle of survival and I'm sure we rarely explore our talents to their extremes.

I'm also sure that the belief we have a "soul" that need to be kept intact to please a deity, hampers our ability to properly explore our talents.

As an aside, another interesting Radiolab programme I listed to, explored the placebo effect and discussed what happens when our opiate receptors are triggered. They discussed it in the context of morphine being given to victims of war injuries as pain relief and their perceived need for it, compared to victims of similar injuries outside war zones.

It seems the greater need came from outside the war zones, and suggested that the perception of how the injury would affect the victim in the immediate future played a huge part.

You see, if you get shot in a city, the things that go through your mind will be what's going to happen to your family? Will the mortgage get paid and will you be able to afford the cost of treatment? (Radiolab is a Yankee programme)

When you're a soldier shot in a war zone, all this immediate stuff is taken care of for you, so the pain appears far less.

It's all interesting stuff, but perhaps the most interesting thing they suggested is that our opiate receptors didn't get genetically implanted into our brains for the event that someday, someone might invent the gun, nor that someday we'd meet a drug dealer.

Our opiate receptors are there to serve a purpose that nature intended and we've yet to understand how to naturally stimulate our bodies to make use of them properly. Yes I'm aware that exercise does something to stimulate them, but it doesn't do the business that drugs do. In other words, their sensitivity setting accommodates far greater stimulation than exercise can provide and our bodies are expecting the stimulation to come from within them rather than from outside.

The thing to ponder over now is what you can do with your body to cut out the drug dealer.

kibosh likes this.
  7. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

What self?

8. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Some religions don't believe in a self or a soul.

9. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I presume they say we are part of some higher thing or soul or whatever...

Although "I" have courageously and heroically abandoned notions of self, "I" allow my brain to house and nurture ideas and concepts. And "I" won't hesitate to abandon them too eventually if they aren't up to scratch. Thoughts do exist, even if their owners don't.

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Have you considered what a thought is? How it comes into being, what makes it tangible or recognisable or to have meaning?

kibosh likes this.
  11. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

A thought is actually very concrete and independent. Compare it to a typical "qualia" - for example the perceptual experience of seeing red. I don't know if your experience of the colour red is like mine. But one's thoughts can be fully understood by others.

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

But what exactly is thought? How is it created or how does it come into being a thought?
    I cannot accept it as merely electrical impulses.
    From a child I wondered if my perception of what a colour looked like to me, was the same as everyone else's.

kibosh likes this.
  13. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I am currently reading "A Day in the Life of the Brain" by Susan Greenfield so maybe I will find out...

But of equal interest, I find, is the nature and quality of one's thoughts. I believe the "narrative of self", as described to by the Duke, while useful in evolutionary terms, is a brake on thought in some ways...

14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Let me know what you find although I may take a look at the book, I have noted title etc.
    As an aside, the ability to 'think' to be able to focus on a thought, I find very difficult. Resisting information overload which seems to me to be all around us and then to concentrate often it is quite impossible (for me). There are so many factual (and non factual) distractions, so many blind alley's, so much information 'noise' to sift through and most difficult of all, what in all that is true.
    In my much younger days (and this might be illusory) I used to be able to shut out most of the distractions and focus singularly. I seldom get to that point now.

15. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Perhaps if you deem most things are partially true in some sense and to some small or large extent- "grey", or "fuzzy" - then your problems would ease?

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I always got a colour blind boy into my classes to illustrate this.

lexus300 likes this.
  17. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

The answer is of course simply no
    Even with a specific frequency how each individual sees that colour differs.
    Sometimes slightly, sometimes dramatically

lexus300 and kibosh like this.
  18. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

The answer to the actual question is "we have no way of telling". You and Rac have answered a different question, namely "do people's eyesight differ?".

lexus300 and kibosh like this.
  19. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

The actual answer to the point I responded to is as I stated it as we do have ways of "telling" in that specific area.
    I made no comment and certainly no answer to the wider question

20. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Lexus was referring to perceptual qualia ... (I think :) )

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016