1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your school report - accurate?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by robyn147, Oct 9, 2012.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

One of my junior school reports said I needed to concentrate more on the here and now and a bit less on the unknown. He wasn't one of the most imaginative teachers, and I haven't changed a bit. Some people just don't get Science Fiction, Space Travel, Comics, and the Paranormal ;-)

I don't really have any comments that relate much to later academic life because after I left school I got into subjects that I hadn't studied before. I took a degree in a subject that I hadn't taken at either 'O' or 'A' level, and there were no computers in any school I went to. Oddly enough it was watching people exploring the unknown (ie Space) that first got me interested in computers, and I've made a living out of it ever since.

2. It was during my grammar school years that I became a master forger! With the amount of time I spent truanting there was really no other choice... To this day my parents still don't have a clue!

One comment that I can still see now, as if I had the paper in front of me, is the single word used to sum up my effort and achievement in RE during the third year - "Disgraceful!". It was written in a beautiful spidery scrawl with black fountain pen. It still makes me snigger.

3. I am pretty sure the vast majority of my teachers in my sixties Grammar School didn't have a clue who I was (or anyone else in the class for that matter) as they spent most of the lesson copying their notes on to the blackboard with their back to the class. We then dutifully copied the notes into our exercise books verbatim. Consequently my reports are restricted to "Good", "Fairly Good", or "Satisfactory" based on our termly exams though I did get a couple of "Excellent" comments when I was wet behind the ears in the First Form.

I once got a "Weak - avoids work!" from my Chemistry teacher in the third form because I gave up copying down the experiments and only had blank spaces in my exercise book to hand in. I also played truant a fair bit (well, a lot actually) as school was excruciatingly boring.

4. My favourite was from nursery school: 'Kirsten doesn't play with dolls with other girls. Instead she prefers to prowl the carpet kicking over the boys' blocks'.

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter

My Home Economics report said - Her difficulties lie in the practical aspects of this subject. [​IMG]
    Well I'm no Delia Smith, but everyone loves my cooking and baking now! [​IMG]

6. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

English - "Excellent"
    Biology - "Tries hard but has little understanding"
    Art - "Different"
    PE - "When ******* finds something ****** has talent in ******** may enjoy the lessons more. Currently, *******'s contribution has been tidying the lost property cupboard."
    Music - "Does not believe that s/he has any talent and I tend to agree." (I had just passed grade 6 'cello at the time ...)

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I still have many of my reports.
    When I moved up from Junior to Grammar School, my final report said I was a bright pupil and was expected to do well in my academic education both at Secondary School; and beyond....I ended up with average O-Levels and totally muffed my A-Levels (I only scraped a pass in one - an 'E' in German!!!)....although I did resit the exams from home and passed enough to get me into University....which I left halfway through my second year and took my degree with the OU. (Well, I got my degree....so I suppose that counts as 'doing well' so the Junior School report was accurate!)
    Most reports said I was a delight to have in the classroom - usually pointing out that I was quiet and well-behaved....this much was true....I rarely spoke in some lessons, and often just sat at the back of the room lost in my own world! (In later years - after I completed my education - I was diagnosed with ASD.....and my 'quietness' has now reached the stage when I am s/elective mute!)
    My final sixth-form report gave predicted grades (German A, Eng Lit B, French B, General Studies B)...as mentioned, I managed an E in German...oh and an 'O' pass in EngLit!....so not quite an accurate prediction!
    I used to be given a grade C3 (letter grade was attainment, number was effort) for PE....despite the fact that I was medically excused the subject and spent the lessons in the library! (Presumably non-participation merited an 'average' attainment grade....and as I didn't take part that merited the 'poor' effort!)
    My French grades were good usually A1....until I moved school (with birthdad being in the RAF we moved every 3 to 18 months) and had a teacher who quite simply started marking me down...I was handing in near-perfect exercises and still only ever got a B/C2....his class was a mixed O-Level/CSE group and new pupils were placed there with the chance of being moved up/down as appropriate....I was never moved up despite topping the year....it later transpired he deliberately kept a few brighter pupils back and entered them for CSE to keep his class pass-record high! (Thankfully we moved again after I had sat my mock exams and I was reassessed at my new school and moved up to an O-Level group.)
    One General Studies teacher gave ,me a glowing report - I was keen, enthusiastic and should do well in his subject next year....I was also apparantly a gifted musician.....at which point we realised he had written the report thinking I was my younger sister - 3 years younger, that he took for RE!
    Biology...grade B3....'beth shows aptitude for this subject and could improve her grade if she would ask more questions'....next term I managed to bring myself to ask a question in the first lesson....and was told to 'be quiet beth!'...so I was - for the rest of the year!
    Biology again....grade B/C2....'beth has shown a pleasing interest in and enthusiasm for the dissection lessons this term....it would be nice to see this reflected in her written work'
    One English report was succinct....grade A1... 'good!'
    Maths...C/B1...'bet tries hard but needs thorough work to master the basics'...I eventually mastered the basics...my degree is in Maths!

8. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

My PE teacher once wrote something like, "Eva's gymnastics skills are beginning to improve".
    I'd been training as a gymnast from age 3 and by the time of the report (age 14) was competing ntionally in my age category. I wasn't good enough (or committed enough) to make Elite level, but I could backflip around that PE teacher in circles if she asked me to.
    Improving indeed! Sheesh!

9. My sports and games report were always disastrous, as I hated both. I have never lived down the comment, 'very poor ball skills'.

10. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

When I got into the lower sixth, my Wednesday timetable was double English, double free, lunch, double free, double games. I used to walk to and from school in those days, so on Weds' I could be home by 11 at the latest.
    Report time, MF is progressing well in games.
    I had not been to one games lesson that year, and my parents knew about my signing out and leaving school. The games teacher was new, and didn't know who I was - bonus! I had also had no mention of absences on a Weds pm at registration.
    (I did do a lot of sport outside school, just not school sport....)
    MF x

11. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

Hhmm.......
    P2 - "I cannot persuade DL to hold her pencil properly. Her handwriting is very poor!"
    "DL is a gifted linguist.....her paper was exceptional in many ways!"
    "DL shows talent and flair in German, but she could do even better. She lacks understanding of her ability."
    "DL is very anxious about her studies and completely unaware of her ability."
    "DL needs to learn to organise her revision ..."
    "DL lacks confidence in Maths, which prevents her from achieving her potential"

12. tidal

tidal New commenter

*chuckles* My school reports were hopelessly inaccurate in predicting my levels of attainment for the majority of my working life. However, my headmaster must have had the gift of prophesy as now I am indeed "unlikely to gain employment even as a dustman" :)

13. Most of my reports said I talked too much and that I was progressing well, but my favourite had to be in sixth year when I'd taken a photography and watercolour module where we were supposed to take pictures, develop them and then turn them into watercolours. There were too many people in the class for the photography element, and as fifth year couldn't have free periods, the sixth years in the class were asked to leave and only come to the watercolour classes, where they could paint using the departments existing photos.
    I had only really wanted to do the photography element of the course and was quite annoyed that I wasn't getting to. Nevertheless, I turned up to watercolour, got on with it and completed that element as quickly as I could. By the October holidays I'd finished the learning outcomes, passed the module and asked permission to be excused from the class for the rest of the year.
    The report stated that I was a keen and enthusiastic member of the class. I had produced some interesting and imaginative pieces of photography which I had captured with flair and imagination in my watercolour painting and that I was on course to pass both modules.
    I knew a mistake had been made (as did my parents!), and as I'd got on well with the art department staff, I told them and they said they'd look into it. Imagine my surprise when my certificate came through and not only had I gained the module I'd actually completed in watercolour, but I also had the one in photography...
    Despite my 'qualification' I still can't take a good photograph to this day!

14. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

The one comment I do remember was from 'general studies' where for some reason we had to write essays on philosophers and their beliefs. As <strike>an angst ridden sixth former</strike> a teenager, Sartre was much more in-tune with my thoughts (and still is) than Plato. Sadly the same could not be said for the teacher who despite giving me a good mark for the Sartre essay took umbrage at my basic attempts to argue that Plato was full of **** in my opinion. The result:
    'He displays a Philistinic attitude towards the greatest philosopher of all time'.
    Kudos to the teacher for managing to get the word 'Philistinic' into a two line report!
    As I was doing all science subjects, it is perhaps understandable that I did not pursue philosophy at a later date.

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I remember a school friend getting a report for Commerce which simply said "John shows interest".

Not bad considering he didn't actually do Commerce.

16. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

I always liked
    was certainly gifted in some subjects, but he lacked self-control. He
    was argumentative and bad-tempered, and unable to submit to school
    discipline....moreover, he was lazy. He reacted with hostility to advice
    or criticism.

Oh, no wait.. that was Hitler not me

17. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Mine always said the same thing: "reliable".
    Teacher euphemism for 'boring'????

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

mostly one liners...but fairly consistent
    Olds,,, could do better....which was true as i didnt like most lessons
    behaviour....always seems to be encountering difficulties in relationships /// not suprised in Sec i used to get in trouble for fighting.
    English...... shows a vivid immagination but fails to grasp the basic need to punctuate work correctly at all times........strange that still seems to echo on here lol. On other occasions i did have one english report which stated that i might gain more from lessons if i where to concentrate........usually because i used to sit and daydream of all the things i could be doing when i left school. ( not that I did).

19. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

A one liner was good going back in the 70's.
    "Satisfactory" was deemed good enough as a summative comment by most, back in those days.

20. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

In going back to the 1950/60's smooth newt lol