1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your room 101

Discussion in 'Personal' started by neddyfonk, Jan 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Yes but with your hair, clothes and make up, you could always carry it off - not to mention the boots, monocle and fez.

Urbanfaerie and racroesus like this.
  2. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I rest my case!

drvs likes this.
  3. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

My printer wasn't networked (phew) - a central help desk dealt with those that were, and very helpful they were too.

4. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Is it still patronising if the person you're treating like an idiot is an idiot?

EDIT: Not calling you an idiot almond paste, have gone off on a linguistic wander.

5. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

Petty bureaucracy in the name of OFSTED.

Urbanfaerie likes this.
  6. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Exactly!! So presumptuous it's rude!
    Someone at work today lengthened another colleagues name, much to his disgust (as his name is the shortened version). He lamented about how irritating this is. I butted in, to which the very nice name shortening colleague was shocked to learn I don't like what she calls me. That's another one off the list, but it doesn't help when the head automatically introduces me as the irritating shorter version!

7. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Freck's ok actually! It comes from something my mum would call me when I was a child. In fact she still calls me Freck!

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Not me, then. I always sent out blotting paper.

9. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

Other peoples' noise.

Old people in supermarkets on Saturdays.

Laziness

Dartford Crossing

Humourless people

Parties

10. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

Oh yes ... since they did away with the toll booth, and told me I must pay in ways I don't understand, I always go the long way round ... or use the Blackwall Tunnel. Wish I could remember how to get to the Rotherhithe Tunnel, though, cos Blackwall is often pretty choked up these days ...

11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

' you guys '

Jaxspuzz and ShowerGel like this.
  12. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

What's Tackleberry got to do with it???

13. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Dog poo
    All dog owners
    Dogs

This is a repeat after my experience today.
    An arrogant idiot was walking along with 4 black labradors.
    One did a massive poo next to a post on gorgeous green meadows next to the river.
    I called out to his retreating back "One of you dog's has done a poo.......How you can see what 4 are doing I don't know."

Warra plonker.
    I am putting that plonker in the bin together with his dogs and all that poo they must have deposited.

14. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Yes minnie me...

'you guys'
    'guys'
    'you little guys'

I wanner slay those people who say 'guys'

minnie me likes this.
  15. drvs

drvs Star commenter

This does not bode well for your planned teaching career!

16. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

Oh?

Can you develop this thesis a little, as I am not following your reasoning at present ...

17. drvs

drvs Star commenter

But of course. With tongue firmly in cheek, as I suspected (and now hope) yours was in post 110, it passed across my mind that ability to use simple online systems is something of an advantage in teaching, as are the ability to cope with (often incoherent) change and the ability to embrace new methodologies.

All three of which belong in room 101 :D

18. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

Ahhhh ... now I follow you.

I am not unable to use simple online systems (as my presence here demonstrates).

What I do not understand is why anybody thinks that online and contactless and similar payment systems which result in my having to take on trust that they accept I have made my payment, when they reserve to themselves the right to threaten me with all sorts of dire consequences if their electronic systems (rightly or wrongly) deny that I have paid them, is a sensible way to do any sort of business.

I decline to make payment for any goods in any manner which leaves me a hostage to somebody else's electronics. Simple as that.

My incomprehension is not directed at the question of HOW to do it ... but at the question of WHY anyone could possibly think I am going to be so dumb as to do it ...

19. drvs

drvs Star commenter

So you weren't joking then.

What a fascinating viewpoint! I've never encountered this before, enlighten me further! Where do you draw the line? You have mentioned contactless, do you trust the chip and pin system for payment or do you only transact in cash for goods and services? Do you trust cheques for outward or inward payment? Do you use ATMs to access your cash or only get cash from the person behind the counter? Does it worry you that the person behind the counter is still reliant on an electronic system?

Do you trust your employer when they claim to have paid you?

Do you believe that everyone who chooses to use these methods which you shun is exhibiting "dumb" behaviour, or just that it would be dumb for you to do it?

20. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

With pleasure.

Some things are forced on me. For instance, since the repeal of the Truck Acts, my employer has been entitled to insist that I have a bank account as they will only pay my salary by direct bank transfer. So be it. I must have a bank account.

However, I operate my bank account on the basis that I must have a physical receipt for everything I pay in to it, which I may use to prove the payment if for any reason they omit it from their statement of account; and, conversely, I will only authorise them to debit my account against a physical signature, so if an item appears on their statement which I dispute I can challenge them to produce the signed document authorising them to make that debit against the account. I reconcile my statement every month when it is received.

I do not have, never have had, and never will have a debit card. Life goes on just fine without one. I have no need of it. If I need to draw cash, I go into a branch and cash a cheque over the counter. Being a good trade unionist, I believe in protecting the jobs of bank tellers.

I am also very reticent to grant a direct debit. Signing a piece of paper which says "Dear banker, please pay to a third party whatever they may ask, whenever they may ask, and debit it to my account" does not strike me as very wise at all. The banks try to persuade you that it is perfectly safe to do so because of the "direct debit guarantee" - but this in fact guarantees NOTHING until the third party agrees and acknowledges to the bank that an error can be made. Until that happens, you will be kept out of your money, and quite possibly end up defaulting on important obligations such as your mortgage as a result. Are you prepared to run that risk? I am not - especially because the direct debit guarantee has NOTHING to say about putting right such collateral damage. They will merely restore the amount wrongfully debited, WHEN it is acknowledged that it WAS wrongfully debited ... and not even with effect from the date of the wrongful debiting. It is re-credited in real time.

This is not for me.

That having been said, there ARE a few direct debits which I have been prepared to write. To my union - because they have decided that they will ONLY accept members' subscriptions by Direct Debit. I disapprove of this policy, but I am powerless to change it, and I am not prepared to be without the protection of union membership. To the local authority for my Council Tax - because the borough treasurer was admirably frank in explaining why they wish to be paid in this way, it helps to keep their costs down, and I am given favourable terms for doing it. And to Barclays for my mortgage. That is all.

But NONE of these three direct debits charges to my main bank account. I have a separate account, to which I pay by monthly standing order a sum sufficient to cover the three direct debits. Thus, if something were to go wrong on any of these three, it would not interfere with the rest of my banking and I would still have a functioning bank account from which to manage the rest of my life.

I have a credit card. I always have. I use it as a deferred payment card, notionally debiting that amount from my stub balance, so I know that I always have the funds available to pay the bill in full as soon as it is received. I was not happy with the change from a signature being required for every transaction to chip-and-pin; and I am even less happy with them telling me (against my wishes) that my card is now enabled for contactless transactions. However, the important point to understand about a credit card is that in the event of any dispute about whether a particular transaction is properly to be charged to your account or not, they do not have your money with the ability to prevent you from accessing it until the dispute is resolved (which is what happens with disputes about debit card transactions); rather, the boot is on the other foot, and you have their money until it is resolved. This is an important distinction which few people seem to appreciate.

I do no internet banking. I do not hold my bank details on any computer. Nobody hacking in to any of my devices is going to be able to obtain any financial information which is of any use to them.

I am prepared to do a limited amount of e-transactions, using either the secure credit card payment system or PayPal (which is, in turn, linked to my credit card). Again, the principle is that by linking it to my credit card, I cannot be financially crippled in the event of a phantom transaction.

I will not use Oyster. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and tried it for a while. It stole my money. When I asked why, they interrogated the card and said that I had "touched in at South Kensington in the early hours of [a particular date] and not touched out". This was untrue. I had never used the card at South Kensington. I have never travelled through South Kensington in the early hours of the morning. And on the date in question I was not in London at all. (It was a Saturday in the middle of the most difficult case in my career, and I stayed at home at the weekends to recover from the exertions of the week). So - the Oyster systems are not robust enough to be reliable, and I am not prepared to trust them. I have seen absolute proof that they are untrustworthy.

If I am buying railway tickets, I go to a railway ticket office and buy them over the counter. (I believe in jobs for railway ticket office staff, too.) I check that the tickets I have been given are the tickets I asked for before I leave the counter.

That's about it. It's all about understanding what is capable of going wrong, and ensuring that you are not going to be prejudiced if it should.