1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your room 101

Discussion in 'Personal' started by neddyfonk, Jan 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

People being interviewed on Radio 4 who answer every question using the word 'so' to start their response. It seems no-one is able to begin an explanation without saying 'So, ......´ :mad::mad::mad:

2. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

David?

racroesus likes this.
  3. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

They should be shot at dawn.

4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

People who cannot tell the difference between accept / except,
    mispronounce enjoy as injoy, and who find it impossible to say "ask".

Sloppy use of cutlery and poor table manners.

Men emerging from a public convenience still putting things away. They have obviously not washed their hands.

Jobsworths.

Jaxspuzz and (deleted member) like this.
  5. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

People who nick smartboard pens from one room to use in another and don't put them back, I've taken to carrying my own in my pencil case.

People who when locking a classroom door, insist on turning the key twice instead of just once.

The college network is on the blink again and my students lose work when it cuts out.

The lift is too slow.

The front door of the building beeps loudly as it opens.

College won't fix the leaking pipe outside the office so it drips all the time (brand new building).

My parking spot is on the opposite side of the campus.

The 'prevent' program eats into my tutorial lesson.

College wants me to run a trip on a day I attend my Master's course at the university, that was quickly nipped in the bud.

Marking in the office, I just can't do it in there I wait until I get home.

Students not getting that discrete mathematics is necessary knowledge for programming.

Lecturers talk too quietly, one was so bad I took out my laptop and started marking assignments, this was in a Masters lecture.

That just about covers me for the day.

6. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Illiterates who blame the technology instead of acknowledging their own lack of competence :D

Didactylos4 likes this.
  7. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

When I first started primary school, the play area had a small tricycle that had a wooden horse's head between the handle bars. It was considered a great privilege to be allowed to have a ride on it. The garishly painted horse's head and a maniacal grin and strangle looking eyes, which scared the willies out of me.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  8. drvs

drvs Star commenter

:eek::eek::eek:

9. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

I'll give you the inverse of this ... staffroom cliques who don't do anything to welcome the newcomer / supply teacher and make them feel at home, but rather just carry on as though the newcomer / supply were not there, and put them in a position of isolation forcing them to make all the running in the effort to join in and gain acceptance / acknowledgement.

Urbanfaerie likes this.
  10. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

Unlikely.

11. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Well, people change, though I guess you'd remember a procedure like that ...

Urbanfaerie likes this.
  12. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Yes! I have noticed this more and more in recent weeks. I am with you on this one.

1 person likes this.
  13. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

It's just a "space filler" while they gather their thoughts before launching into their answer.

"Well, basically ..."

"What you have to understand is ... "

"What I would say to that is ... "

"In my opinion ... "

Or even just the tried and tested "Um, well ... "

These all fulfil the same function. I think it's a bit harsh to single out any one of them for particular opprobrium; and to throw them ALL into Room 101 would be a bit harsh, would it not?

14. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

An evening class pottery teacher (Nancy ?) who insisted our ultra smooth shiny work had no character and proceeded to set about it with wooden sticks and embossing objects to give it texture and a bit of ethnic authenticity.
    Fine art class was similar when one skilled pensioner was 'accused' of producing 'chocolate box work'.

15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

That's so annoying freck!

16. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

There goes half the job!

Urbanfaerie and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

This wasn't a stranger, she had previously been a f/t teacher and was there every term at least, it was always a big "entrance" - "Dahlings! I am back!".

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Did he have a magic way with network printers that refused to work for anyone else?

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You hang around public conveniences? It might be a last check with dry hands.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I always did something similar to start a term.