1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your room 101

Discussion in 'Personal' started by neddyfonk, Jan 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

1. People who walk along the street, earphones on and head down looking at their mobile phone, and walk straight into you.

2. People who stand blocking staircases as they pause to take a call on their mobile phones.

3. People who, during the middle of a conversation, will pick up their mobile phone with one hand, and hold the other flat to your face, saying, "Sorry. I've got to take this."

4. People behind desks, sitting on swivel chairs (SMT, bank staff, etc.) who, during the course of a conversation, will answer their phone and then swivel around on the chair, turning their back on you.

5. Following on from 4 above, when your interlocutor ends their phone call, stands up, and says to you, "I've got to go and deal with this. You'll have to make another appointment", and walks out. (This happened to us at the Nationwide BS, when we made an appointment to speak to someone about long-term savings bonds. Surprisingly, they did not get our business!)

peggylu likes this.
  2. Jolly_Roger1

I wouldn't disagree with you but I would interested in your slant on him.

3. Jolly_Roger1

In more liberal times, some of us used to make toast in the staffroom. One day, I was sitting down to eat a piece, liberally slathered with Marmite, when one of our regular supply teachers, a Canadian who spoke with a rather camp, Loyd Grossman accent, looked at me in horror, and said, "Jeez! How can you put the sh1t on your toast!" This image immediately comes to mind at any time I consider having some Marmite toast.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Taking number 2: you could say all cities and larger towns which either do not have any signs at major junctions or only signs for local districts when you want to get through the horrible place and back onto the through route main A road!

5. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

When I was living in the jungle (Amazon, not Calais), one of my colleagues received a care package from home that contained a jar of marmite. They were so happy and left it in the communal kitchen. One morning they came down to find it missing. The cook, a native to our host country, had wondered what it was, opened it and had a sniff and immediately deemed it as something that had gone very off and threw it out. It was later retrieved from the bin and we tried in vain to get the locals to try it. No dare or bribe was ever accepted and the cook refused to have it in his kitchen at all because he firmly refused to accept that it was food.

6. petaloutha

petaloutha Lead commenter

My Australian daughter-in-law calls it 'woeful filth' and won't let my son eat it. I could eat it till the cows come home and always take a jar with me whenever I go on holiday. Food of the gods!

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Humphrys? Never lets anyone get a word in edgeways! It's not all about you, John. Shut UP.

8. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Prepare for a long 'un as pretty much everything annoys me.

1. Gross noises. People really should not be able to de-phlegm their noses/hawk up lots of chest gunk/do juicy farts/eat noisily and repulsively in front of other people.
    2. Donald Trump. Thank-you, world, for your applause.
    3. Ironing. All clothes should be completely non-ironable.
    4. People that don't indicate at roundabouts.
    5. People that indicate the wrong way at roundabouts.
    6. Dog owners who leave poo on the floor (from their dogs and themselves too).
    7. All people who have ever said anything along the lines of "I don't have time to read". Frankly, if you have time to sit and talk nonsense, you have time to read and you should be ashamed.

cissy3, peggylu, ldnsenco and 2 others like this.
  9. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

8. People who promise long and ranty lists but can only think of 7.

10. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

1) People who talk whilst eating - I don't want to see your food and try and decipher what you're saying
    2) Mannequins/waxworks *shudder*
    3) Spiders
    4) People who are happy with hurting others (physically or emotionally)
    5) Unnecessary paperwork

peggylu likes this.
  11. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Exactly.
    'Hello, it's Geoffrey' (actually it isn't but you get my drift!!)
    'Hi Geoff'
    Did I say that, did I???

peggylu likes this.
  12. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Parents who allow their offspring to sit/stand in supermarket trolleys.
    Simon ******* Cowell.

cissy3 and guinnesspuss like this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Usually double Xers in my experience.

14. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I once taught a Year 6 child who was so afraid of waxworks that we had to lead him through part of a museum with his eyes shut. I still have the explanatory note his mum wrote :rolleyes:

101) Scumb@gs who prey on the elderly and vulnerable

peggylu likes this.
  15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Those brilliant, creative, hard-working, creative, intelligent, driven, creative, highly qualified, creative superstars. I wasn't, I'm not, but I was right.

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Alzheimers.
    Neighbours who park in my road but need the length of more than half a car in front of and behind them thus taking up all the space.
    Drivers who completely ignore mini-roundabouts and drive straight over or even the wrong way round.
    My husband snoring.

cissy3 likes this.
  17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Piers Morgan.

Now there's a man who really doesn't understand that interviewing someone is based on the premise that you ask a question and allow them to answer. It is not an opportunity for you to promulgate your own views and prejudices.

CraigCarterSmith likes this.
  18. ldnsenco

ldnsenco Occasional commenter

Sniffing

Spitting

Noisy eating

Screaming children on the bus

People who talk sooooo loudly on their mobile phone

People who stand too close to me and continue to move closer even if I move away

People with very loud headphones music

People eating their partners face in public

People pushing buggies assuming they have the right of way

Dog poop on the ground

cissy3 and peggylu like this.
  19. ldnsenco

ldnsenco Occasional commenter

People who stop 6 feet short of a junction and wave you over their car

20. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Cheeky!

cissy3 and racroesus like this.