1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

your policy on letting students out to use the loo?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by tricitybendix, Jan 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tricitybendix

tricitybendix New commenter

I am at a new school on long term supply and have some challenging classes. Ordinarily, with groups that are not hard work, I compromise on letting students out to go to the loo, when they've completed work for example. With some groups I don't need to do this, they go as and when they need. I suppose it's an issue of how trustworthy or mature the student is.

In the more chaotic classes I get constantly pestered by students who need the loo. I know they are taking the **** (pun intended), and I really think they should learn to wait, and CAN wait. If a student has a medical issue for needing the loo they will have a note. But I don't want to deny the fundamental right to use the loo! Can I issue a blanket ban on trips to the loo? or let them go 10 minutes before the end? or stick to my rule of only when their work is finished.

I feel like this is an issue about boundaries that I should have got clear in my head ages ago, but for some reason haven't. Looking for advice. Many thanks.

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

School may have a policy on this. Have you asked?

3. tricitybendix

I haven't tbh. For various reasons the school and department is in complete chaos, so would be surprised if there is a policy on this that works or is used consistently.

But will check, thanks.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I let them go mostly. The serial wee-ers get a choice - As I am worried about you missing too much, yes, you can go now but it will be the last time you are allowed out this week/month/term. Are you sure you want to use up your chance now?

Lara mfl 05, Kartoshka and wanet like this.
  5. tricitybendix

That's a great idea - very fair. Thanks.

6. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

You've hit the nail on the head. One thing that might discourage incontinence is to make the rule that only one student can go at a time.

7. crockedpot

crockedpot New commenter

It's a tricky one - mine were constantly asking to go to the loo and I realised it was to check their phones....I know have a yes you can go but the phone stays with me rule. Bladders appear to have become more efficient of late.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

My standard reply was no (but I would keep an eye on the student and check a few minutes later if they were ok). It did of course depend on the class/student but for some I would say (with a smile) you only get to be excused once per year -are you sure you want to use your chance today? Nearly all declined and those who didn't , got the message. And , of course, only one person was allowed out at a time.

9. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Long ago ... a pupil used these opportunities for a campaign of thefts ... was leaving many classes a day but as no-one checked no-one knew what was happening in other people's lessons. Hmmmm

10. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

When I was in the staff room, among many other things, this was the kind of thing I'd check up on by talking to other teachers.
    Excellent solution. One thing I would like to see is students forced to leave phones in a locker during lesson time.

11. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

David, you are of course right about the staff room talk as a means of checking. But it's not very reliable at best, and relies on staff having time to chat (and having a shared staff room); it also breaks down in bigger schools where staff cannot know all the children by name. I agree with the principle and I've done so much through the water-cooler chat, but I'm all too aware of the gaps.

12. marrsy_2000

marrsy_2000 New commenter

You could try. "I'm happy for you to go to the toilet but I will time you and you then have to stay at the end to make up the learning time you lost at the end." This would only work if the lesson ended at a break or lunchtime or was at the end of the day but usually just by saying it the requests will fall. I would normally say they could only go when they had completed something, say a paragraph of writing or drawn the diagram. I have also said "Ask me again in 5 minutes." Often if it's just an excuse they forget to ask again or the end of the lesson is approaching. I think the age of the pupils matters too. Younger ones probably need to be let out if they are not mature enough yet to remember to go at break. Older ones are more likely to be using it as an excuse to skip part of the lesson.

halliday1986 likes this.
  13. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

First of all it really depends. Our toilets are free to use before school, in between tutor and 1st period, break time, lunch time and tutor time before 5th period and of course, after school.

Now if I have a student asking me to go toilet either 1st period, 3rd period and 5th period I'd always say "why did you not go during the break?" of course their response is "well I didn't need it then!" My response is "tough. Sit down."

Of course, I will allow them to go if they desperately need it, but they wouldn't dare walk out my classroom. Also, in my school, students need the teachers pass to get access to the toilets. So they can't do much without our passes.

I would just say you can go once you have finished your work but our head has made it quite clear that if it's not an emergency, then we should refuse them access and are told to hold on and wait to be asked in the next lesson.

I allow a lil more leeway to my top sets. But even that, our SLT love to stop students in the corridor and ask "what are you doing in the hallway?" then to no surprise you'd get an email saying "teachers are reminded that..." I've often used the response of.. "what are you doing outside your office?" They never can forge a comeback.

Every school is different, so I advise you to just check and ask what their toilet policies are. Ours are more stricter on the GCSE lot. We can let the A-levels out whenever they ask. KS3 are not too bad.