1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your Perfect Holiday Destination

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JosieWhitehead, Feb 20, 2019.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Isn't it a good job that British workers were not involved in building the Great wall - it wouldn't be finished yet.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

...and they would have drunk all the f*****g tea.

Look at Stonehenge - they couldn't even be bothered to put the roof on.

cissy3 likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

upload_2019-2-25_18-40-21.jpeg

upload_2019-2-25_18-40-57.jpeg

Malham Cove in Yorkshire - well worth a visit.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

[​IMG]

Austwick in North Yorkshire - a lovely and tranquil place to grow up in.

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Have just booked a few days in Nice in September.
    My sister and her husband are going for a week, so I said "ooh, we'll come, too!" . Not in the same hotel.

It'll be a right laugh.

6. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

How very lovely!!!! Wasn't it a bit like that on the Gower Coast this afternoon? They said that today (and yes, it is February) it was 20 degrees c.

7. JosieWhitehead

Oh, I'm so sad that nobody has been to the Channel Isles - or if they have, only I have mentioned it. My first teaching post was in Jersey and it was absolutely lovely beyond words.

8. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

I have been to Jersey several times - it's lovely.

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

A few years ago,instead of going to France, we decided to have a holiday in the lake district,in July. It rained so much in the first few days that we nearly went home too! We live in Scotland,so we are used to rain but that was something else! Hated it. Won't be going back there in a hurry.

10. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I went on a geography field course at Malham." We are going to climb up the dry waterfall at the side" said my geography teacher ....
    Well.. dry? ? DRY ?? It was a blooming raging torrent and very scary. We made it though and learnt all about clints and grykes at the top.

cissy3 likes this.
  11. tujeste

tujeste New commenter

Ah, a member of the crapeaud tendency I see

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We went to Jersey last year. We did a lot of walking on the coastal paths and travelled everywhere by bus with our Liberty Bus Passes. The underground War Museum was very interesting - we were given a facsimile ID card when we went in and had to find out what happened to our person. Mine was shot for harbouring escaped slave workers.

cissy3 likes this.
  13. JosieWhitehead

The underground war museum and the underground hospital made my spine creep. I could never go into such a place again. As the prisoners who worked there died, or were shot, they were buried in the walls. A friend of mine (a nurse during the war years) had a Russian prisoner of war who managed to get to her home and he had been riddled with bullets where they must have used him for target practice. The Jersey people were starving during the war years. The principal of the little college where I worked told me that her parents starved to death and her younger brother was sent to get soup from the soup kitchens (just vegetable water), and when he dropped it by their gate, they scraped it off the ground and ate it because they were starving. I learned many things about the war years by living there for 3 years in the1960s.

14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I couldn't help thinking, when learning about those who informed on their neighbours (forced by starvation and sheer necessity and fear in many cases) that their must still be some mistrust and buried feuds between families now.

15. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I went to Guernsey for New Year for a few years - the tide-race coming out of the harbour is something else! One year in a storm force 9 a lorry fell over in the hold and we had to run with the tide (the wrong way) until they'd managed to lash it down and stop it sliding into all the other vehicles. It took us 11 hours to get back to Portsmouth.

I love seeing new places, but the perfect holiday destination for me is home.