1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your Perfect Holiday Destination

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JosieWhitehead, Feb 20, 2019.

1. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Anywhere, where there is no phone signal, no people, [or at least 1 mile away], no TV or radio. Where the sky is black at night.

Just so I can take in the peace and quiet.

monicabilongame, towncryer and cissy3 like this.
  2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

The west coast of Scotland from Applecross to Durness. We did it a few years ago and it was thrilling.
    At the moment we haven't booked anything apart from Edinburgh in August but I keep looking at Italy. Could fly to Milan for a day or two and maybe manage to see the Last Supper this time, then go on to Parma. That's one I want to visit.

3. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

Don't knock it. I know of a few non UK people who say that one of their favourite things to do when in the UK is go shopping in TESCO....yes, really!

Piscean1 and sunshineneeded like this.
  4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

LOL.
    My idea of purgatory;)

catmother likes this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The stars at night that we saw in the Sahara last Summer were just amazing.

6. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

March 18th.... the Lakes beckon....
    Lake district.jpg

Langdale chase_.jpg
    The Langdale Chase is just a lovely place to visit or stay.....

Anglesey, Cemaes Bay, The Creek and Harbour.jpg
    My childhood holiday base.... Cemaes Bay.....just love it. The walk over the far cliff at the north end of the beach is just great - so wish I could still do it....

towncryer and cissy3 like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Problem is.....it rains a lot in the Lakes

Last time we went we came home two days early because it rained torrentially every day.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Having said that - getting the Ullswater Ferry to the other side of the lake and then walking back along the lake is one of the nicest walks in England.

9. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Too identifiable to name my favourite Mediterranean destination but it has sea and mountain views, a pretty resort but not too busy.

A friend has recently visited The Seychelles: a winter sun holiday is now on my list.

Yes, I’ve always liked the Lakes and once managed to have sunny, hot weather there.

10. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

You came home early from your holiday?! Are you insane? I quite like bad weather on holiday at it means I can sit inside and read, which is my favourite thing to do. Our best holiday ever was in North Cornwall. We stayed in a cute cottage with an amazing view of the sea. We swam in the sea every day (in October!) then came home and read our books, interspersed with lots of lovely meals out. I can't think of anything nicer. And no messing around with airports and currency and all that malarky.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We are both active people - but after three days of Mooching about in Keswick in driving rain and driving to other bits of the lakes to see if wasn't raining there (it was) - we gave up.

Actually we haven't been back since.

12. May2

May2 Established commenter

Just remembered we had a lovely holiday in Norway. A beautiful Country. We started in Bergen which we really liked and moved to two or three other places doing the Norway in a Nutshell route independently. I remember one of my favourites was staying in The Balestrand hotel overlooking the fjord, wonderful!

13. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

After being out in the rain though,,,, you arrive back to a roaring fire.... thoroughly invigorated after that fine Lakes rain.

monicabilongame and fraisier like this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The Great Wall of China - a wonderful thing to see.

[​IMG]

towncryer and primarycat like this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Lake Louise in the Rockies - a place everyone should see in their lifetime.
    upload_2019-2-24_9-12-52.jpeg

towncryer, InkyP and primarycat like this.
  16. fraisier

fraisier Occasional commenter

I was in the Lakes these last 3 days, didn't rain at all! It's such a gorgeous area, I wouldn't live there (too rural for me) but it truly is out of this world. It's always been extremely popular of course but it's increasingly busy, I found it a little too much this time round.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

upload_2019-2-24_11-47-34.jpeg

Ullswater - my favourite place in England

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I have to admit that continental supermarkets are one of my favourite shopping venues, so I can see why the opposite might apply. Normally I can't abide shopping.

towncryer likes this.
  19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There's now a Tesco in my wife's home town in Malaysia - it's very popular

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

..and hugely successful in its day. There's hardly any Mexicans to be found in China. :)

cissy3 and towncryer like this.