1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your Perfect Holiday Destination

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JosieWhitehead, Feb 20, 2019.

1. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Libya - born there when dad was working as a civilian with RAF and went to visit in 2004.

red_observer likes this.
  2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Three generations of Mainwarings were here last summer to celebrate our 50th anniversary so it was our sons who squired the family round the Alhambra. We've 'done' it many times and it doesn't pall but in August!

lindenlea and Dunteachin like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Tene upload_2019-2-22_9-15-25.jpeg rife - a surprisingly nice place providing you avoid all the Brits and the vomit.

4. Piscean1

Piscean1 Occasional commenter

Dominican Republic. All inclusive, adults only. Complete relaxation but not the sort of holiday I could do every year.

I just like to be warm generally speaking.

5. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Cephalonia- my favourite Greek island.

6. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

It is so dreadful when tourism really spoils a quite unspoilt place. I haven't been to the Gower Coast for some years but when we did go, you had to make sure you took a picnic and went to the toilet before going because there was nowhere to buy food or go to the toilet on the beach where we went, but it was wonderful with its long beaches. I worked in Jersey too and went back last year. St Ouen's (pronounced Wan's) Bay has about 7 miles of unspoilt beach where the waves roll in and we walked along there and saw no-one. It was June. I know that in peak holiday time it does get busy and the other thing is that the sea is dangerous there, although it is popular with surfers.

7. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Yes, I think we are privileged to live in one of the most beautiful countries of all and sometimes we don't always appreciate it.

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Some interesting (& surprising) choices here - I'd agree regarding Madeira, and Penang looked pretty nice when we were there last week (that's boasting :D), as did Langkawi (also in Malaysia).

But no-one has mentioned what is (IMHO) the most beautiful part of Europe - the Bavarian Alps. If you haven't been, you really should...;)

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  9. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Read this without my glasses and thought your all time favourite place to be was Tesco!!!

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Me too.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Penang is still lovely but logging on the side of the island tourists don't often see has made some formerly nice places....not very nice.

My wife was born not too far from Penang - when we visit I go for day trips (the Penang Ferry is brilliant) - I've been virtually everywhere on the island. I spent a couple of days biking round it some years ago.

Been to Langkawi too.

FrankWolley likes this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Two photos from the place on Malaysia's East coast we visited as it was in 1990

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The above photo is the Top of Maxwell Hill near Taiping in Malaysia. It's about 9 km to the summit - up endless switchbacks and I haven't always made it to the top due to torrential rain.

But it's a magic place - there are lots of birds ans monkeys and so many species of buttefrly, snake and other insects too.

If you're ever in the area - check it out - my advice is to start very early if you plan to climb it - it rains virtually every day.

17. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Looks lovely Peakster.
    Talking of lovely places-how was Stevenage today? ?:D

18. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We had a really memorable night in Rantau Abang (this is not a smutty story by the way) - we went to see a Leatherback Turtle that came on shore to lay eggs at that time. First two nights we were there - nothing doing. Last night however - there was one and we joined a group of maybe 20 people sitting on a beach about 2 in the morning watching a female turtle lay her eggs and then go back to the sea. It was amazing - a never to be forgotten experience.

There was a guy there from the government - when she had gone he excavated the eggs and took them away to a hatchery. The mortality rate for young turtles is something like 95% - this way they were put back to sea after they had grown a bit to give them a better chance.

Some parts of the East Coast are still unspoilt - other bits are not.

JosieWhitehead and Weald56 like this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

upload_2019-2-22_19-32-56.jpeg

Leatherback Turtle (not the one we saw)