1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your Perfect Holiday Destination

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JosieWhitehead, Feb 20, 2019.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Sungei Petani in Malaysia - Described by one travel guide as "The ugliest town in Malaysia)

[​IMG]

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It isn't actually.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Samaria Gorge in Crete - a must do hike.

upload_2019-2-21_18-57-39.jpeg

4. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Venezuela, the DPRK, Cuba, Iraq, Lybia, Syria, South Sudan, Chechnya, Stoke on Trent..:eek:;)

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

No wonder you're miserable if these are the places you go on holiday to

emerald52 likes this.
  6. red_observer

I was joking. And thanks for the comment...

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I wasn't being serious - I rarely am.

red_observer likes this.
  8. red_observer

;):D

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I never fail to snigger at the road sign in Stoke that points to the "Cultural Quarter", as if to imply that the other three quarters of Stoke are completely uncultured. :)

10. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

Out of interest, how do you actually get there from mainland England?

lilachardy likes this.
  11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Oh yes!
    Shallow draft and cross currents.

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Sailings daily from Penzance or fly from Bristol, Exeter, Newquay and penzance.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Very poor area of the midlands sadly.

nizebaby likes this.
  14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've been to two of those (not Stoke on Trent).

15. red_observer

Cuba and ....?!

16. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

On a boat, a plane or helicopter.

17. MustaphaMondeo

MustaphaMondeo Occasional commenter

I've been doing pilgrimages for a couple of decades.
    I'm not religious.

18. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I live in the perfect Autumn-Winter-Spring holiday destination: in the hills of Andalusia, equidistant from Granada, Malaga and Sevilla. As usual, we have enjoyed a mild sunny winter, with a bewildering variety of wildflowers beginning to appear in December. The almonds are now in clouds of blossom from pure white to deep pink and the bees have been working at our lavender and rosemary throughout the winter. Here are 700 metres we seldom have snow but there is still plenty on the Sierra Nevada, visible from the head of the next valley. The forecast high for this week is 18 C but the wood-burner is still on for the chilly nights. Our hill faces west and the winter sunsets are dramatic.

But don't come in the summer when we can reach 40 C and paint-stripping hardly requires a blowlamp. Our old cortijo with its thick stone walls keeps a steady 22-25 C downstairs (we have A/C above) but outside work has to be done in the early morning. (The farmer on the other side of the arroyo has a floodlight on his tractor and starts at 4.00 am}. And never go to Benidorm or anywhere else on the Costa Paqueta.

19. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

What an idyllic life @Mainwaring! We visited the Alhambra in May and it was 36 degrees. Not pleasant!

I'd like to go back to Australia.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  20. towncryer

towncryer Established commenter

Not daft...you are right...there is a time difference...but some 1000's of miles in the other direction to my Caribbean haven. It's also a holiday destination for some where I live right now but somehow never feels like it when I'm working!

I think that not being at work is what makes holidays special...because wherever you are it's the time to enjoy it that makes the difference.I am sure all these lovely places mentioned might take on a different hue if they were the background to a normal work day routine.

cissy3 likes this.