1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your Perfect Holiday Destination

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JosieWhitehead, Feb 20, 2019.

1. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Do they? I loved walking the levadas there but probably wouldn't keep going regularly.

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Yes I lived it there. It has just about everything for me and cycling for my husband.

I've been to too many lovely places to have a clear favourite. This year were planning to go walking in the Picos de Europe, Skiathos again and maybe a few days in Northumbria.

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Make sure you go off season (no later than May or after September). The crowds are horrific at other times. I'm not sure I agree with others about driving to Venice - I did it once, but it's a long haul. Arriving by air over the lagoon (*) and then taking a water taxi into the city centre is magical but ruinously expensive. The waterbus from the airport is almost as good and very much cheaper. Arriving by train is also rather wonderful - the last mile is on a viaduct across the lagoon and you step out from Santa Lucia station right onto the edge of the Grand Canal.

(*) But make sure that you fly into Venice Marco Polo, which is on the lagoon - Venice Treviso is miles away and involves a boring coach ride).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I grew up near Stevenage and can only agree with everything that's been said ….

Favourite holiday destination - there are so many I want to visit but haven't yet been to: Italian lakes, Venice, Rome, Santorini, Madeira, Sardinia. An island we regularly visit is Menorca - smaller, greener and quieter than Majorca, but we love it. And the under two hours flight is a real bonus!

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

'Loved' obviously, I didn't live there.

6. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

The coastline of the Ria Formosa National Park east of Tavira in Portugal. Unspoilt beauty.

InkyP likes this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We have loved NE Italy. There is so much to see in those towns and cities. Ravenna has amazing treasures.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Some lovely places get trashed by Tourism.

In 1990 my wife and spent three days in a little place on the East Coast of Malaysia - there was nobody on the beaches and we had a great time culminating in seeing a Giant Turtle on the last night.

In 2014 we went back - we couldn't believe it - it looked like Blackpool - the little town that was there is a much bigger place - and it is awful.

....and no turtles have been seen there for a decade.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I would also caution people a bit about visiting the Island of Penang in Malaysia

Yes - it is lovely and there are some very nice places - but it is quite expensive now and nowhere near as nice as it once was.

10. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

What a nice thread@josiewhitehead.
    A bit of cheer amongst all the doom and gloom. :)
    I would also recommend Venice-especially at carnival time. Yes it's busy, but the costumes and atmosphere are amazing.

primarycat and bombaysapphire like this.
  11. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

South Africa - specifically KwaZulu Natal where my favourite hotel is The Ghost Mountain Inn
    I'm also very fond of St Lucia - not the Caribbean one.

primarycat likes this.
  12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Yes, Carnevale is good, but my favourite time was always mid November to mid December. Very few tourists, and the narrow passageways disappear in mist and become full of strange echoes from unseen footsteps. Keep a pair of wellies handy, though, as the Aqua Alta often strikes at that time of year. November 21st is the feast of Madonna della Salute, with a fair and stalls that stretch from the Campo Santa Maria Zobenigo across the Grand Canal to the Salute.

13. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I've stayed there and we went to Kozi Bay on the same trip. That was pretty spectacular. I enjoyed my stay there.

14. Odo

Odo New commenter

Thirded!!! Although Brhyer and St Agnes are our fav. islands.

Only 8 weeks to go and we'll be back there.

lexus300 likes this.
  15. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Bryher for me.

16. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Have so many....
    Still love the Lakes.... and my fave hotel (+ place to have a bar lunch) The Langdale Chase. The grounds are just spectacular rolling down to the Lake. Alas in recent years the push has been on to increase profit and rather surprisingly many of the trees which used to shield its presence from folk driving along have disappeared :( Tis just past NT Brockhole on the way to Ambleside. The interior is like having stepped back to Agatha Christie era with its wonderfully wood panelled grand hallway, fireplace, staircase and minstrel's gallery.
    MrREMfan loves Wales (tis his Welsh heritage....quiet far back tho) and he has loved Anglesey ever since I took him there (have showed him so many areas of this country - he is actually quite proficient on UK Geography and dialects! Far better than anyone 40 or under with NC Geography these days)
    Love Picardie and Normandie...... Dieppe still being a favourite. In the South Villefranche takes some beating....the AbFab film based quiet a bit of action there.
    The 2 drives which stand out for me was the one across the country which follows Hadrian's wall and then the drive my ex and I did many years ago down the east coast of Ireland as we drove through the Wicklow hills.....I told MrREMfan about this and raved about it and when I took him to Eire..... tried to replicate the route. Failed completely..... don't know how but I ended up on a very boring dual carriageway and was in Waterford before I knew it ! 0/10 for my navigation that time.

JosieWhitehead and cissy3 like this.
  17. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

I wish I was! Unfortunately no. I am hoping that this year's holiday budget will stretch to allow a few days on there.

cissy3 likes this.
  18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The bakery:):):):)

lilachardy likes this.
  19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I am not jeolous at all:rolleyes:

20. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Spent my teenage years on Scilly and have very happy memories. Love to visit. And Islay is also a favourite.

lexus300 and lilachardy like this.