1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your Perfect Holiday Destination

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JosieWhitehead, Feb 20, 2019.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm going to Stevenage on Saturday

becky70 likes this.
  2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Enjoy.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

How?

magic surf bus and primarycat like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You gotta love Stevenage

Less of a town and more a series of retail parks linked by appallingly landscaped dual carriageways and a series of underpasses that are even worse than the ones in Hatfield.

My wife is from a little town (now not so little) town in North Malaysia - I read the entry in Lonely Planet about it once - it said "Nothing to recommend it".

I feel much the same way about Stevenage.

needabreak and primarycat like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

They also have a football ground which has a patch of wasteland at one end - every now and again the ball flies over the wasteland - over a pathetic fence and onto one of the dual carriageways. I've seen a car struck by a ball a few times.

Truly one of England's hidden gems.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've just realized I'm completely trashing this thread (as usual) so I'd better get off.

cissy3, primarycat and CarrieV like this.
  7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Not telling you. I don't want any of you cluttering up the place.

I love being on holiday. I don't care where we go, I just like being away.

jomaimai and magic surf bus like this.
  8. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I've had many a happy hol rough camping in these areas (not in campsites, which I dislike)
    But I don't think my knees are up to it these days. I particularly like unspoiled bits of the Llyn.

Like most towns I've visited in the US! (Harsh, I know!)

magic surf bus likes this.
  9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I spent a few days last summer walking parts of the N Llyn coast path with an old friend, whilst camping at a small coastal campsite. It's a lovely stretch of coastline, certainly the equal of the Pembrokeshire Coast path, which I've also hiked, but less well known. I used to surf on the N Llyn and only considered its beaches for their wave potential - it's nice to appreciate them in later life for their scenery and wildlife too. I'll definitely be back for more.

cissy3 likes this.
  10. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

The Gower peninsula was lovely. We had amazing weather which may have helped but beautiful scenery.

cissy3 and needabreak like this.
  11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Try driving there via the Alps if possible - far more interesting than flying 33,000 feet over a grey/green blur partly covered by clouds. We've been three times - first time we flew, last two we drove. We plan to go again next year, by road.

12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I do like Venice and, as has been said, the drive there is well worth it! The drive along the romantische strasse is also lovely and Rothenburg Ob der Tauber is my favourite place to visit in winter!

13. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Venice
    South of France
    Lake Garda

artboyusa likes this.
  14. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

You'd better hurry up because when we went there, the main square was getting more and more flooded. It is gradually sinking under the sea I believe. What some lovely suggestions you have made. I love it in Yorkshire but usually during January and February I feel the need to escape to somewhere a little warmer.

15. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

May I recommend the Channel Islands - Jersey, Guernsey etc. My first teaching post was in Jersey and it was here I met my husband (also not from Jersey) - but it is a truly beautiful little island with wonderful beaches.

16. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

My all time favorite place to be. Tresco in particular but all the islands are lovely.

lilachardy likes this.
  17. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Barcelona is my favourite so far, but there's so many places I still want to visit. Haven't made it to Stevenage yet for one ;)

silkywave and primarycat like this.
  18. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

I like to be somewhere warm, preferably by the sea. I love the sound of the waves rolling in. There are lots of places for me but Puerto Pollenca in Majorca stands out. Going back there in September and can't wait.

19. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

A very small island in the Caribbean which is totally unspoiled. Pristine beaches and very small scale hotels (no large chains or resorts) It is Heaven on Earth and not widely known about.The (mostly German) tourists only go to its sister island which is much more commercial.) This is little hidden treasure.

I will not reveal its name however as then the cat would be out of the bag. The less who know about the better.

Sorry.

cissy3 likes this.
  20. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Are you there now?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    towncryer likes this.