1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your Perfect Holiday Destination

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JosieWhitehead, Feb 20, 2019.

1. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Is there somewhere that you love to return to as a holiday destination - or where you might well recommend others to try? I've just been to mine: Northern Tenerife - Puerto de la Cruz. As a teacher, I longed for the time when I could have a January/February holiday to escape the winter weather. We found people from all over Europe escaping their weather in Tenerife.

smoothnewt and sparklepig2002 like this.
  2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

My favourite, inexpensive, holiday is a week at the Platja D'Or hotel in Alcudia, Majorca. It is adults only, all inclusive and across the road from the best beach I have ever been to! I also like the Canaries but find they aren't warm enough in the winter for me! However, I would recommend the hotel Elba Sara in Feurteventura (again, all-inclusive!)

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Not quite as warm as other suggestions but we have returned to Kirkby Lonsdale a number of times. We have a favourite dog friendly pub. There are beautiful walks both in the town, through the Lune Valley and in the North Yorkshire Dales nearby.

4. JosieWhitehead

Especially for you lovely people, I waved my wand and have arranged for the wind to bring you some warm air from the Canaries, which should arrive tomorrow. It's my present to you all to enjoy during half-term. If you like it, I'll arrange to do this regularly. How about that?

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

China - fabulous country

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

The Yorkshire Coast is beautiful, particularly Scarborough, Whitby and the Moors. We visit once a year.
    For warmer places I would recommend Aruba and Grenada in the Caribbean.

7. JosieWhitehead

It's not that far to get to Kirkby Lonsdale from our home. It takes us 45 minutes to Lake Windermere and it's on the way. Yes, we're lucky to live in The Yorkshire Dales - so after a holiday away, I don't regret coming home.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  8. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Safari. I've been on a few as we lived in South Africa for a while. But I've never seen a leopard in the wild so that's still something I'd love to happen.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There's one been spotted (heh heh) in Luton - that's pretty wild.

primarycat and sparklepig2002 like this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We did a lot of touring in Morocco last summer through the Atlas Mountains and into the Sahara - it was amazing.

My abiding memory of that trip ?

When we were passing back through the mountains we came across a little herd of Donkeys who had obviously decided that they were fed up of carrying massive weights and had escaped into the mountains to live in the wild.

They looked very content and I really had to admire them.

11. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Sicily - perfect!

needabreak and primarycat like this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Other than the Mafia you mean.

13. primarycat

Yes! We loved it there too.

emerald52 likes this.
  14. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

The Isles of Scilly.

Laphroig and lexus300 like this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Did they make you an offer you couldn't refuse ?

primarycat and emerald52 like this.
  16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Charente-Maritime in France, including the Ile de Re - a favourite area that we'll drop into for a while whenever we're touring the west coast.

In the UK, North Wales has been a favourite destination of ours for many years, but we tend to go for short breaks rather than main holidays as it's not too far from home. We also rate the Pembrokeshire Coast very highly.

Favourite city - Venice, even with the crowds.

cissy3 and primarycat like this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Everybody slags it off - but Madeira is actually lovely and there is a surprising amount of really nice things to see.

FrankWolley and JosieWhitehead like this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Never been to Venice - it's on our list.

primarycat likes this.
  19. primarycat

Another safari reference but...

We saw a herd of zebra with some horses mixed in. Apparently young male zebra leave the herd to form their own groups. But they're herd animals so want company. They kept collecting the game wardens's horses. The wardens would try to round them up each morning but zebra protect their herd so eventually it got too dangerous. They got cars instead. It was all very harmonious when we saw it but there were dark mutterings about lions and the horses lacking any camouflage.

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We lived in Kenya for a year so I've seen many "safari" animals. One thing we learned early was never to leave any food near a window unless you wanted a monkey nicking your lunch.

There was one of them that had a bit of a thing for Orange juice so I would occasionally leave out an opened bottle for him to steal.

JosieWhitehead and primarycat like this.
  21. primarycat

Loved a trip through northern Spain too. From A Coruna to Bilbao. Lovely food and scenery all the way.