1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your opinion please...

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by rugby_gal06, May 26, 2012.

1. I qualified two years ago and I've been doing supply since. I have applied for 35 jobs and had only 4 interviews. I know last year I wasn't selling myself in my applications in the right way and the applications that I have sent off this year have been so much better, resulting in one interview so far. I have good qualifications, experience and recent CPD from putting myself on courses off my own back and have commenced induction.
    What I would like to know is should I continue to apply for jobs or stop? Each time I make a school visit, the HT says tell me a bit about you, which ends up with me saying, I'm doing supply and you see their face drop, almost with disappointment that you haven't had a full time post from the minute that you graduated. Believe me, it's not like I didn't try to secure one.
    Why is supply seen as such a bad thing?
    Ultimately, I feel that I will have to stop applying at the end of the school year. If schools won't employ me after doing supply for two years, I know that they definitely won't consider me after doing it for any longer.
    Your thoughts please.

2. Keep looking and keep doing supply. Also take a completed LA application form to school's where you regularly do supply. I like employing people who have a year or two of supply under their belt. Far better than "green" NQT's. You have a host of skills that they don't have.

If you are doing regular supply ask the HT to look at your application and give you a mock interview. May also be worth asking for a lesson observation / lesson feedback. Great confidence booster and/or tips to improve for when that next interview comes up.
    The right job will come along - hang in there!