1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your Opinion Please

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by JO9832, Mar 12, 2012.

1. JO9832

JO9832 New commenter

Hi
    Just hoping to get some opinions on a 'situation' I have with my own son who is in Year 3 . In September his school decided to 'set' children for maths lessons. The children stay in the 'set' for a half term , they then have a test and either stay put or move elsewhere. In October it seemed my son needed more of a challenge , he was too good basically for the level 3 work but not quite good enough for the next set so has been placed in a small group being taught by a TA in the ICT room evreyday. Here's my worry ( and this is no disrespect to Ta's) he has not been taught any maths by a teacher since October, There is no other maths just the set groups . Homework is hit and miss and he seems to be coasting along to me . This weekend he again got no homework but his class teacher gave out homework to all his 'mates' who are in the level 3 group which she herself teaches. When I queried this back in October i was told the Ta works closely with the teacher and not to worry. Surely he has the entitlement to be taught by a teacher. Please dont think i am TA 'bashing' as i know they do a fantastic job but surely there is a reason why there are teachers and TA's .
    We have parents evening on Thursday what would you say? . Also is this situation legal ?

Thank You For any comments

Jo x

2. JO9832

JO9832 New commenter

Hi
    Just hoping to get some opinions on a 'situation' I have with my own son who is in Year 3 . In September his school decided to 'set' children for maths lessons. The children stay in the 'set' for a half term , they then have a test and either stay put or move elsewhere. In October it seemed my son needed more of a challenge , he was too good basically for the level 3 work but not quite good enough for the next set so has been placed in a small group being taught by a TA in the ICT room evreyday. Here's my worry ( and this is no disrespect to Ta's) he has not been taught any maths by a teacher since October, There is no other maths just the set groups . Homework is hit and miss and he seems to be coasting along to me . This weekend he again got no homework but his class teacher gave out homework to all his 'mates' who are in the level 3 group which she herself teaches. When I queried this back in October i was told the Ta works closely with the teacher and not to worry. Surely he has the entitlement to be taught by a teacher. Please dont think i am TA 'bashing' as i know they do a fantastic job but surely there is a reason why there are teachers and TA's .
    We have parents evening on Thursday what would you say? . Also is this situation legal ?

Thank You For any comments

Jo x

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I don't think it's unreasonable to express your concern. We had something similar in year four when the school set up a g&t group for Maths which was taught by a TA who is also a friend of mine and who I know really, really struggles with Maths. Not only was she not very competent but she was also very underconfident in the abilities she had.It may be that your TA is a whizz at Maths and that there's nothing to worry about (the homework thing wouldn't bother me - the less the better, as far as I'm concerned!) but it's certainly worth bringing it up.

4. Would he learn more in a small group albeit with a ta, where he can be closely monitored? Or do you think he would learn more in a larger class but with the teacher? All children have targets to achieve and his teacher will have to monitor his progress. Assuming the ta is competent, I think he is lucky. It is worth discussing your concerns with the teacher.